C13 some MIDI notes not being played by Halionsonic

I have a problem on C13.0.30 of some MIDI notes not being played by Halionsonic (7.0.20)… has anyone encountered the same problem?
If the same midi data is sent to an external module or another VST instrument everything is ok.

I don’t think it’s a polyphony problem, the Instrument track is a piano performance, and the HS7’s polyphony is set to 128 notes, there is only one occupied slot in which I tried to load different patches from different libraries, and I always get the usual problem of notes not being played.

There is no DC data other than sustain

Hi,

Could you try to change the buffer size, please?

Thank you for your answer.

Changing the latency doesn’t help and neither does the size of the ASIO guard.

If you want I can attach the project indicating at which point in the song this occurs

One potential issue I’ve seen before over the years. It might not be your issue, but I’d seen it before. See if the trouble passage has any ‘overlapping’ repeated notes. I.E. A note repeats itself, and the end of the previous note overlaps the beginning of the second occurrence.

If nothing ‘overlaps’. Tap the panic button in the Sonic instance and then try again. In theory, if there are any lingering note-on parameters in the plugin that for whatever reason never registered a proper note-off, that should shut them down.

Next…
Try some different piano sounds in the slot. I recommend trying it first with the simplest of GM sounds from the Basic content set, as those don’t have a bunch of complicated layers that rely on mega-triggers and/or scripts (damper effects, pedal noises, release samples, and whatnot).

A couple reasons to give trying different Sonic/HALion programs/instruments a try.

1. You’ll get a fresh start with a fresh-reset program slot. You can cycle about and try your same piano program again if that seems to help. If you get the problem with some piano sounds, and not with others…

2. Having a new note start in a track before the previous note ends is a common way to achieve a legato effect. The key editor has ways to apply the effect automatically, and it’s also pretty common for scoring software like Dorico, Sibelius, Finale, etc, to apply the technique to legato, or passages marked with slurs. So stuff imported from scoring apps, and countless downloaded general MIDI files use the technique. It seems like it might even be possible to set up an auto-legato effect during live playing/recording with MIDI and Instrument track inserts.

Over the years I sometimes ran into a HALion program in some hosts that for some reason didn’t like it if a note repeats and overlaps itself unless the sustain pedal is active (same note follows itself with a note off event coming after the second note on, and thus both tones shut down instead of only one). ‘Different’ notes could overlap without issue. It was only a problem if the ‘same’ note overlaps itself. Note, it’s impossible to do this during ‘live playing’, as we use a sustain pedal and all, but it’s impossible to double trigger in this way with a live controller (the key must come UP before it can go back DOWN again, so the note in the engine gets a proper reset).

I.E. In Sibelius, marking a passage legato could sometimes lead to missing notes. The fix was to correct subsequent repeating notes so they don’t ‘overlap’ anymore, for some instruments simply dropping in a sustain pedal event (CC64) worked, or use a different program/instrument that didn’t suffer this issue.

If I used a different Sonic/HALion program/instrument, or manually fixed the track/stave so none of the subsequently repeated notes ‘overlap’, such staves were fine with the problem Sonic program/instrument. Again, it was fine if ‘different’ notes use the overlapping legato technique. Only a problem if the SAME note repeats, and overlaps itself. Seems like that wasn’t a problem if the sustain pedal was engaged, so dropping that in could be a substitute for ‘fixing the overlaps’.

For a super detailed ‘modern’ composition using more ‘tampered’ piano sounds, where you truly want repeated notes to ‘overlap’ somehow and properly trigger all sorts of extra layers in the sound (dampers or whatever), it might even be desirable to load the program into more than one slot, and ‘channel bounce’ (or use multiple tracks) for a rapidly repeated note back and forth between the two slots.

I never bothered to take a deep look at such ‘problem instruments/programs’ in full HALion to track down what the ‘problem’ might have been with those sounds, or if they could be corrected. I can easily theorize some situations where layers can be set up using ‘multi-triggers’ that could lead to a note off event shutting down many sounding layers that they shouldn’t be shutting down, while triggering dampers or tail samples you might not want at the moment! A sustain pedal could easily be a condition of a ‘multi-trigger module’ that prevents that from happening. (multi-trigger modules are part of full HALion that allow a sound designer to set conditions on when a ‘layer’ can be active and make sounds. HALion sound designers can also bypass these modules and achieve similar ‘conditional’ processes with our own custom lua scripts).

Seems like I did ‘report some’ years ago when I was on a beta team and they got ‘fixed’, but there might be some that are still lingering, or have crept back in with the numerous library changes since Cubase 12 (a gradual shifting to completely dongle free libraries).

Quick Summary:
When using complex multi-layered HALion programs…
If the same note rapidly repeats, either apply a sustain pedal during that time (CC64 > 64, and this sustain pedal trick might not always work for every HALion instrument), or otherwise make sure subsequent note endings don’t overlap the next occurrence of the repeated note. On a ‘real piano’ keys must come UP (send note off) before they can go back DOWN (send note on).

1 Like

Thanks for your long and detailed response!

I don’t think I have problems with double notes, also because I usually eliminate them with a quick command on every midi track I record.

As you can see from the image there are no particularly complex executions

Notes circled in red are not played

but in the meantime a strange thing happened!

When I wrote this post the problem remained even when I changed the sound in the slot (I also thought first of trying with a bank of “easier” sounds).
Now, however, if I change the sound in the slot the problem no longer occurs, all the notes are played correctly

in this short audio you can hear what happens: I bounced BAR 75-76-77

at present the problem only occurs with the “4Knob PopD” library

Thank you so much for your invaluable help!!!