C5 & C6 compatibility

Can you open C6 and C6 Artist projects in C5 and/or C5 Studio? I assume C6 can open C5 projects? Can C6 Artist open C5 projects? I’m in charge of an education setup which is using C4 Studio, thinking about upgrading, and I’d like to know about compatibility as some of the students are on C5 & C5 Studio…

cheers

ian

I was going to ask this same question. I’m wondering if I’ll be able to open my C6 projects on another computer than runs C5.

Ridiculous question.

Why would you be able to load new project in a legacy app?

Because sometimes you can? Cubase 6 and Cubase 5 are still very similar, moreso than previous Cubase iterations.

Wow man, lighten up. How about a friend didn’t upgrade yet and they might want to trade files?

If they are lucky they may be able to use XML archives, otherwise if they are using a cut down version they can go to hell :imp: :smiling_imp:

I suspect you will not be able to open C6 projects in C5 version as this has always been the way with Cubase (you cannot open newer project files in older versions of the SW) - the other way round is of course fine.

Although you may get some compatability - the VSTis you have used in C6 may well not work the same/be available back in C5. You would be better working the way you always do in these situations, or avoid creating a situation where you need to do this.

Anyone got a definitive answer yet?

Ridiculous question.

Why would you be able to load new project in a legacy app?

It’s not a ridiculous question. I buy for an educational establishment - given that I cannot expect all the students who have C5 on their home computers to upgrade en masse, I think it’s perfectly reasonable to want to know whether they’ll be able to bring in projects they’ve been working on at home into the classroom and carry on with them if we’ve upgraded to C6, and then take them home again.

C5 is hardly “legacy”, given that a large amount of Cubase users will be using it still. Cubase on the Atari, on the other hand…

I needed to go from a relatively complicated session (strings and other instruments across 17 songs) recorded on C5 backwards to C4 a few weeks ago.

.omf which had been patchy for me previously, worked perfectly this time, everything in place. All transferred in easily and logically. Worth looking at as an option.

P

It’s been confirmed that you can open Cubase 6 projects in Cubase 5. However, if you’re using new Cubase 6 features, there will obviously be complications.

Thanks, that sounds good.

.omf which had been patchy for me previously, worked perfectly this time, everything in place. All transferred in easily and logically. Worth looking at as an option.

I’ve never used this (didn’t know about it) - is it for audio / midi / both? A quick search suggested it was designed to move projects between DAWs, but the references were all for audio… Nice suggestion, anyway.

cheers

ian

I used .omf for export on that occasion, using rough audio mixdowns for musos to work to from C4 into C5, then .omf taking new audio performances back to C4.

MIDI files can be imported and exported freely of course, so although it’s not ideal, it’s workable. I didn’t even bother to set the C5 tempo - everything landed back in the right place. If in doubt a click or a count-in ahead of the rough backtracks, copied ahead of the new material before making the .omf can be matched when you’re back at home.

Study the .omf window before committing, you can set the files you want to include from the list on the left.

Set locator limits if you wish
Set file destination path
Tick ‘Copy media’
Set Export to one file

The other options are detail tweaks

Finally, OK

…and you’ll end up with a single large file that you can easily import to your original project using the .omf import dialog (last option on File>Import

Works for me!

P

In C6, if I open a C5 project, then try to save it over the original, I get this warning message:

"The project file was created with Cubase Version 5.5.2
Although that program is able to read Cubase 6.0.0 project files in general,
the two might not be fully compatible, so you may want to keep the original file.

Do you want to overwrite the project file or create a new file? (New/Overwrite/Cancel buttons)"

So I guess that’s the answer: Sometimes (but don’t count on it)

Thanks for the input. Looks promising…

cheers

ian