C5 to C5.5 without C5 installation disk available?

Using my recently activated license upgrade (C4-C6), I’ve first installed C5, en route to C6(.5). I used a C5 trial-version installer (downloaded early in 2011), because I haven’t got a C5 installation disk. (Under the C6.5 license, the C5 trial version acts like a full version.)

I’d like to update it to C5.5.3, but here: http://www.steinberg.net/en/support/downloads/downloads_cubase_5.html
it says:

Please note:

To update from a Cubase 5 version older than Cubase 5.5.0 first install the update 5.5.0 from this page!

CUBASE 5.5.0 UPDATE

This patch updates an installed Cubase 5 installation (5.1.1 and older) to the version Cubase 5.5.0!
Afterwards the current Cubase 5.5.3 update can be installed.

Please note that you might need to insert the original Cubase 5 installation DVD during the update process!

which makes it look like, unless I can get hold of a disk, I can’t (or, at least, might not be able to) do the upgrade.

So, questions

1) Why does it say “might” need to insert the disk, rather than will need to? Is it unusual to need it?

2) I wondered about trying to do the update and put in my C6 disk instead if/when the installer asks for the C5 one.
. . . . . Does anyone know whether that will work?

3) If I just try it to see what happens, could that harm the installed C5?

4) Any other suggestions?

I don’t remember ever having to insert my original disk when installing 5.5 (Studio). I would try it and see what happens. But, that’s just me. Livin’ on the edge and all, you know :slight_smile: .

The good news — I just ran the 5.5 update installer, and it went ahead OK without asking to see a disk.

The bad news — A ridiculous thing called the Project Assistant now appears when I try to create a new project. :open_mouth: :unamused: :cry: