C6.5 & Win 8

What’s the story on C6.5 Win 8 compatability? :sunglasses:

Why are you so worried about Win 8 when we still don’t know if it’s a reliable DAW platform and if it’s completely bug-free? Adopting it as soon as it’s released would be really really foolish.

I used windows 7 x64 since the Beta without a single issue, I was using OSX at the time and the windows 7 x64 beta with cubase x64 made me switch to windows.

windows 8 isn’t radically different under the hood to 7 so I don’t see any problems if things work with 7.

MC

p.s Bredo, what are you doing over here?..a Nuendo refugee like myself :slight_smile:

Found this yesterday: Why Windows 8 Scares Me - YouTube

It looks like it takes a high IQ to operate the metro version anyway. I didn’t know there was a desktop mode? :slight_smile:

Hmm metro mode reminds me of using Cubase 6.5 on a Win8 tablet, not very professional.

reports are that Win8 will work on the new Windows Tablets so i wander if C7 will be working on a Tablet soon…

i wander if C7 will have …

3D looking track view
VSTm protocol…the virtual mixer plugin protocol to enable 3rd party mixers and graphics
come with a sampler like the other DAWs
etc

you were such an innovator back in the day Steinberg how about innovating and inspiring the industry instead of just giving us a few more synths for C7 as usual for a change…time for some bigger thinking like you used to do to move Cubase back to the No. 1 position…

I did some actual Win 7 vs. Win 8 DAW benchmark testing on the same computer this week and while Cubase WORKED on Windows 8, the actual performance results were not good, compared to Win 7. I also noticed some odd ASIO behavior with Cubase on Win 8 that doesn’t happen on Win 7.

It’s gonna take me a little while to summarize the results, but I’ll just say that I’m really glad I made a disk image and backups of my Windows 7 installation beforehand.

Also, Windows 8 doesn’t use less RAM than Windows 7- given the same computer with the same drivers/apps installed, Win 8 uses a little bit more (both OSes will cache everything they can to RAM, but Win 8 will give you a little less “available” memory). Also, while Microsoft trimmed down the total number of processes required to maintain the operating system at any given time, their combined resource usage (handles, threads, etc) is higher when Windows 8 is idle than with Windows 7- it does more behind the scenes- so it’s a little bit heavier on the CPU. This is generally to be expected with a new, OS, so I’m not surprised- but I keep hearing people say it’s less than Windows 7, which just hasn’t been the case in my own Win7/Win8 comparisons on a variety of systems now.

Noooo!!! Who would seriously use Cubase on a tablet? :unamused:

would make a great mobile recording platform as you could use your regular usb audio interface and software unlike an android or iPad tablet.

MC

There will be two kinds (architectures) of tablets, and hybrids going forward. Depending on the processor, Windows on ARM (also called Windows RT) or Windows x64/x86. ARM is designed to be more energy efficient, longer battery.

Cubase (in its current form) will not work on Windows RT, but will certainly work on tablets running x64/x86. Problem is the Cubase UI is not designed for a touch-only scenario. Some actions (not all) are just too small or granular for touch on Cubase. Enter the hybrid tablet.

A hybrid tablet will have both a touch screen and a keyboard and potentially a mouse if you desire.

Microsoft Surface (Intel version, not ARM version)
Toshiba Satellite slider

If that concept appeals to you, but no need for the small form factor, you can already purchase a touchscreen monitor.

That will give you the workstation, non-mobile hybrid where you can have a touchscreen, and a mouse and keyboard, and 1080 resolution. That’s where Windows 8 will bring all this together. That’s what I want. YMMV

Wow! Thanks for all the replies, this gets me up to speed. :sunglasses:

I finally got a chance to write up my Win 7/Win 8 Cubase benchmark results, in this thread.