C6 Feature Request : Midi Key Editor Mask

hi,

I thought today how cool it would be if you could enter into Cubase the key of your track (eg Dm) once you had figured it out the key early in the songs creation and then when you go into the midi key editor in the future it would have greyed out the keys /rows that are not in Dm so you cannot draw notes on that are out of key. for musicially dumb guys like me that would be awsome and make production so much easier.

Either call it “Restrict Midi notes to key” or “Midi Key Mask”?

Cheers,
Blackout

Is this the kind of thing you are talking about:

http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1670&hilit=chord+track

Hi Brains, hmmm…yes and no. Its along the same idea but im talking about just making only valid notes from the key of the song to be available in the Key editor to plonk notes down on. So if you wanna just make, for example, a synth solo by drawing notes into the key editor, you cant draw a bung note. the available horizontal lines would all sound good :wink:

Its easy to say “just be a good musician” but sometimes i copy/paste chords around and transpose stuff on the screen in the Key Editor and miss that theres a wrong note here and there, and buried in the mix i sometimes dont always hear it immediately. At least this way i couldnt draw in accidently a wrong note.

I think this would be a big selling point for DJ producers who arent in for all that “learning music stuff” to make their lives easier. Which is a market im sure Cubase would always like to capture more of. There could simply be a button on the top of the Key Editor toolbar called “Mask invalid keys” or something like that and when you turn it on then it makes some of the Key lanes greyed out that were wrong notes so you could not draw on those lanes. And of course, if you were a pro-musician then you would not need to ever turn on the mask. Damn i would love that!

Cheers,
Blackout