C7 Amprack vs Podfarm vs GTR3

Has anyone made a comparison between the C7 VST Amprack, Line6 Podfarm & Waves GTR3?

I’ve done some recording through my POD X3 Live, two mono channels, one with X3 FX, the other recorded dry ( essentially the same input fed in to Amprack). I’ve not been able to get anywhere near the same quality tone as I can get from the X3 through Amprack.

I like the idea of being able to tweak my guitar tone in hindsight. Am I doing something wrong, or is Amprack just not that good? I guess, the other thing I can do is send the recorded dry track back in to the X3 and tweak sounds that way. (anyone tried this?)

So, original question - thoughts/opinions on these 3 guitar VST’s. One is free, GTR US$140, Podfarm US$299.

VST Amp Rack isn’t that good; you are absolutely right. I’ve heard good results out of it, but never been able to get them myself. What you describe there with the sending the dry track back into X3 is called re-amping. Before trying that I would recommend reading up on it some. Always be sure that your dry track has a low volume at first.

Any reason you’re not considering Overloud’s TH2? I trialed it and got some very nice results, especially in the heavier genres.

I own all three and always tend to use Pod farm if I’m not using an amp. Haven’t tried the Waves one much, but I’ve been using L6 stuff for years, so I’m used to the interface.

Thanks for the info!

I’d not heard over Overloud TH2 - I’ll give it a look.

There are also a number of freebies out there that may be usable. May also waste a lot my time . . . .

My just be a better idea practicing to be a better guitarist in the first place . . . . .

I also heard that Peavey has something like this that is very highly rated. I’d probably check it out too. Podfarm is decent I’m sure, and it is cheaper, but probably not the best on the market by a longshot.

I had a good member here help lay down a guitar track for one of my songs, and he used Waves GTR3, sounded really nice to my ear, but hard to tell how much processing was done on it after the fact (he had Ozone 5 and lots of other nice toys).

There are an awful lot of Amp Sims out there, and very few of them actually sound anything like the item they are supposed to model. I’ve tried Amplitube 3, GTR 3.5, Overloud’s MarkBass, the UAD SofTube & ENGEL amps & various others and whilst they will sometimes work well I honestly think that to start with you will be a lot better off working out your own sound through a real amplifier & getting the tones recorded properly in the first place.

The way I would advise you to go is this:
Firstly, take your favourite guitar to an amp shop and just sit down & try them all -out until you finds the right one for you (and you will know it when you hear it). This may take some time and may also take you down some odd paths - my partner is a bass player and she uses an old Selmer Valve PA head into a 4:12 and a Fender Bassman cab for most stuff but for a little bit of flavour shew also has a Marshall 6100LM Anniversary series (which is effectively 3 amps on one chassis) into the same cabs.
Once you have got “your” sound sorted out, the variety can come either by tracking with a DI or else using 2 different mics - one condenser & one dynamic - and you would be surprised how much tonal variation you will get simply by moving the mics on the cab - experiment with each one on & off axis, nearer & farther away etc. Honestly, this will serve you much better than trying to ram everything through an amp modeller.

This is not to say these tools are no use - not at all - the point I am really trying to make is that to get the best from these tools, you really need to know & understand your own sound to begin with. Why? Simply because with all hardware there are a few well-chosen options that generally all sound pretty good. With digital emulations there are these same options available to you for sure - but the “gotcha” awaiting is that there are thousands of bad settings available and until you have worked out what your sound is the odds are very high you will hit one of the bad sounds much more readily than you will stumble across a good one.

Hope this helps - and also hope it does not come over as a negative post as this is not my intention. :wink: