C8 Pro CPU Spikes

Hi,

Does anyone else notice that C8 spikes pretty easily? Something like one reaktor with polyplex loaded peaks over 25% ?

My system has 16GB Ram / Intel I7 3.40GHZ / Win 7 64 Bit.

Anyone else seeing this? I noticed also the butch vig vocal stereo plugin causing same thing… I think that could be the lug though anyone else got it?

Any suggestions regarding the spikes is that normal for my system?

Read somewhere that people are suggesting that new waves plugs need good GPU.

Mine is ATI Radeon HD 5500 series. Is it time to upgrade? Is this causing the spikes?

Will adding another 8GB of ram help reduce these spikes?

I am just starting Groove Agent SE4… this is the only VST that I have open, no effects or anything.
I am getting upper limit spikes…
I have a 5ghz, 24gb memory, 2 solid state drives (one for library), Windows 7, PC… CB8…

I believe it has something to do with update 8.1
I don’t believe that I had this issue when I first started CB8 before that last update…

there should be no reason that I am having resource limit peaks…

I just fixed everything…
uninstalled 8.0.1
installed 8.0.0

no more updates right away for me anymore… it’ll take a little more time for me next time so that I can be sure these kind of problems are not going to come up…

I am just starting Groove Agent SE4… this is the only VST that I have open, no effects or anything.
I am getting upper limit spikes…
I have a 5ghz, 24gb memory, 2 solid state drives (one for library), Windows 7, PC… CB8…

I believe it has something to do with update 8.0.1
I don’t believe that I had this issue when I used CB8 before that last update…

there should be no reason that I am having resource limit peaks…

Postby KingHuru » 20 May 2015 22:04

This might be the MAJOR SOLUTION…
PLEASE TRY THIS AND RESPOND BACK…

Disable the “Activate Multi-Processing” in the VST Audio System tab of Device Setup of Cubase 8…

I found this out because… when I deactivated the multi-core function as an experiment in Kontakt while using Cubase 8 and then tried to reactivate it when it didn’t make my system more stable, I got a message like…
“using multi core in Kontakt and the host system could make everything unstable”

needless to say, as of this moment, things are NOT overloading my Cubase anymore and I have a much better system for VST’s…

Again, let us know how this works…
also if it works for you copy this message and post it everywhere you can…

I will try that and report back… I find it out that if it is 8.10 like you suggested in the previous post that many have not sparked an update as of yet?

Ill try this but I imagine that De-activating multi core will provide less power? who knows?

But im on some other boards and people are suggesting that new plugins are forcing upgrade of gpu… :frowning:

Just a shot in the dark…

You say “5ghz”… is your PC overclocked? That may be part of your problem.

I’ve been having VST peaks too, mostly when tracking at low buffer settings, though. I need to be able to track with a click, so Groove Agent seems necessary. Is there a way to have click without GA open? Also - if v8.0 is better, is there somewhere I can download it? I deleted it from my download folder.

Thanks!

Gantt

Ok interesting observation. Example with Butch Vig vocal plugin (stereo)

When loading up on a track the average load and real-time peak hit around 25% (Average load exactly at 25% and real-time peak hovering around 27-28%.

No if I select a different track and wait about 45 seconds to 1 minute the average load and real-time peak shoot back down to about 0… When selecting the track it is on again it shoots back up…

Now when I deactivate multi-core processing the average load drops and the real-time peak stays. Once it dropped and went back during play back…

During playback the meters stay up around 25% regardless of the channel selected.

this is an issue that has been happening for some time. So far, no one in the forum has been able to nail down exactly what causes it. Some people have flawless results, and some have stuttering horrible problems.

Good times.

Jesus I’m frustrated: - YouTube

Just throwing it out here.

I had really horrible performance issues until I flashed my BIOS. A brand new MOBO and the flash fixed every issue I was having.

I do not however use Kontakt. Maybe that is a different issue…

Click does not need GA at all. It is a completely separate function. I am not close to my setup now, but please check the manual. You´ll find the click in the transport bar, among other places.

reply to bluzkat

no sir, not overclocked…
my processor is a

AMD FX-9590 Eight-Core 5.0Ghz Processor - 8MB Cache, 1866 Max DDR3 - Socket AM3+ - Unlocked - FD9590FHHKWOF

I somehow thought that my quad core processor was the problem…
I am still having issues with “real time peaks”… my average load does not show any struggle at all…
the processor itself does not seem to have hardly any load…

This sounds like an effect of the ASIO Guard - when not in a potential “realtime” position, i.e., selected channel, the load is low, ASIO Guard is doing its thing. When the channel is selected, since there’s a potential for realtime usage, more CPU is used. A benefit of ASIO Guard.

RE During Playback: I assume it’s a VST3 plugin so, when there’s no audio going through the plugin, processing is low, once audio is streaming through, more CPU is used - a benefit of VST3 over the older versions.

I never use asio gaurd though as I find it unstable…

I did the exact same thing a while a go when I went from Win 7 to WIn 8.1. Thought I had the latest BIOS installed but I actually hadn’t and since sorting that (plus fresh install onto brand new SSD) and cleanly installing C Pro 8.0.10, things have been amazing. I can’t wait to get to my Music Laboratory tomorrow and try out the new .20 update!

Great to hear!

Just a note, I did have some strange issues with audio dropouts. Not the kind that ruin recordings, but even Media Player audio output would drop out on occasion.

It was a simple chipset driver for my mobo for W7 64-bit that cleared that up. It seems that even a BIOS flash does not necessarily make it up to date for some software or OS.

Just as with any install of anything, check for driver updates from the manufacturers websites. :slight_smile:

Hmm i have only flashed a bios once… Now I need to remember how… I can do this without messing mup my current machine?

That would depend on the particular system.

It is advised to backup the BIOS to flash drive before flash. Some newer MOBO’s do that automatically.

I would Google your board before doing anything.