Calling all DOS gurus!

I’m having an issue copying project folders from my Desktop to My Documents using the xcopy command. If I use the command without any switches, it just copies the .cpr to the new location. If I use the /e switch, I get the .cpr and all folders within the project folder, but not the project folder itself. I’m using this syntax, maybe you can see where I’ve gone wrong;

C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Desktop>xcopy Test “C:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents” /e

Any help greatly appreciated. :sunglasses:

I think you need to create your new directory and invoke the xcopy command from within that …

Cheers for that, Paul. Are you saying I have to use cd c:\docume~1\username\my documents\Test before using xcopy? If so, I’m not getting why. xcopy should copy the complete structure of the directory from place to place.

That should be md, not cd. :blush:

Its not clear from your syntax whether “test” is a file or folder? But if I understand you correctly then…

I think you need to specify the folder name in the destination string. This will invoke a prompt from Xcopy :
f= File, D=Directory ? e.g.

C:>xcopy “C:\Users\MM\Desktop\test*.*” “C:\Users\MM\My Documents\test” /e

Xcopy then responds:

Does C:\Users\MM\My Documents\test specify a file name
or directory name on the target
(F = file, D = directory)?

Hit ‘D’

it should the create the folder "test’ in the destination specified…

Awesome, Ian. Works a like a charm. Been losing sleep over this the last couple of days. Many thanks, brother. :mrgreen: :sunglasses:

Of what purpose would one need to use stones knives & bearskins to perform such a task?

You’re a funny guy.

I’m thinking off firing up the Wax Cylinder Audio Workstation.

Studying for my A+ and N+ certifications.