CAN-10868 - Side chains disappearing from Send fx menu

Hi again, Grim,

Unfortunately, this didn’t work in my project. The standard compressor was not present in the sends…

Best,

Magnus

Weird…Here’s the cpr with both sends showing on my system. Does it open this way for you?..if you did no further work you could replace your cpr with this one (just take off the prefix to the name & back up the original first of course)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_lPJrTKSztEWFpvcmlCNWxuUW8/view?usp=sharing

Hi Grim,

I will try your cpr - thanks so much for sharing it! However, I have since gone ahead with this project without the sidechains. (I replaced the vox sidechain with an automated volume dip of the guitar at -1.5 dB, and the bass drum cuts through fine even without ducking the bass.) But I sure would like to know what is going on, and I definitely prefer if sidechains don’t disappear again in the future. This is a nuisance.

Best,

Magnus

Hi guys,

I think we stumbled upon the same bug I opened here (no steinberg staff replied to it) :

JG

Hi JG,

Thanks for chiming in. Yes, definitely the same bug. I contacted Steinberg support yesterday. Have you done so? This is supremely irritating, but anhow - it is always good not to be alone!

Best,

Magnus

I contacted Steinberg support about this on Friday, still no reply. How long does it usually take for them to respond?

/Magnus

Could be a few days or a few weeks or a month or two or never.

This bug has been around for ages, really annoying when it happens but only happens rarely thankfully

Really? You mean that they sometimes don’t respond at all? That’s shocking - in a relative way…

/Magnus :open_mouth:

Wow, so it’s well known then. Even worse… I wish I knew why it happened. And I wish Steinberg fixes it.

/Magnus :astonished:

I doubt they purposely don’t respond but you certainly see posts from people complaining they never heard a thing after many weeks or months so it seems to happen sometimes.

Meaning … you think it is by accident they don’t respond?

I think it could be described as never getting to the top of the priority list.

A week today, not even an acknowledgement…

/Magnus

I am in contact with Oscar at Steinberg support now re this. He suggested renaming my preferences folder. But I am hesitant to do this, since I don’t want to have to redo all my preference settings. Also, I don’t think preferences have anything to do with this, since other projects with similar sidechains still have the sidechains intact…

What do you think?

/Magnus

Try Cubase safe mode instead of renaming preference folder (see my sig).

Thanks, Alexis. I will try it your way, if I have to go that way. I still believe it is a bug in Cubase, since sidechains work perfectly well in other projects.

/Magnus

I have also had this issue and posted a different thread on it a while back too. One thing that helped me temporarily clear the bug was to set all of my channel output routings in the mixer to none, then disable any existing send to a side chain in the project, and turnoff the side chain switch on the vst, and occasionally remove the plugin and re add it. Every time I have this issue it seems like one of these steps clears the problem.

Also, I used to alt-click to copy and paste plugins occasionally and I have stopped doing that recently, which has seemed to reduce the frequency of the issue appearing.

Sorry to hear that you too have encountered this. I haven’t tried changing the output routings. I tried the other steps, though, to no effect.

Oscar at Steinberg support is now looking at my cpr to see if he can come up with anything. First, though, he suggested that everything was as it should in my project (an opinion he formed from the attached screenshot) and that I should read up on how to use sidechains in Cubase. I asked him to explain why my project was ok, and he then asked for the cpr - without explaining what made him state that my project was ok, and what I was doing wrong.

I attach the screenshot.

/Magnus

Steinberg support says that my project loads correctly on their computer… Grim, the sidechains didn’t work when you opened my project, did they?

/Magnus