I fell into this trap as well, and was pulling my hair out, wondering why my project wouldn’t properly recall when I re-opened a saved version.
I worked through the issue with tech support, and found a workaround.
Here’s the problem: If you are using a VCA Fader with automation, you MUST save the project with your transport located PRIOR to the first automation point. If you do this, your linked channels will have the proper fader level upon re-opening the project. However, if you save the project with the transport located AFTER the first automated fader movement, all linked channels on the automated VCA Fader except the first linked channel will be saved with the wrong fader position (a multiple of the amount of the VCA Fader movement).
To reproduce the problem:
- link several audio channels with a VCA Fader
- add automation to the VCA Fader (say, two automation points with different volume level for the VCA Fader
- save your project with transport located BEFORE the first automation point - ALL IS GOOD
- save your project with transport located AFTER automated movement on the VCA Fader - project is saved with wrong fader levels on linked audio channels
- to extend the test, add automation on several VCA Faders at different times throughout the project. All VCA Faders with automation prior to the transport location will be affected on SAVE. All VCA Faders with automation beginning after the transport location will be okay on SAVE.
To repeat the above - as long as you save the project with transport BEFORE any VCA Fader automation (try ZERO to be safe), your faders will save properly.
This IS still a problem in 9.0.30. I am told it is NOT a problem in 9.5.10, but I haven’t personally tested it there. It could also be a problem in 8.5.