[CAN-25846] Cubase 10.0.5 Double CPU Usage and ASIO Spikes

Me too

me too

Anyone opened a ticket about the findings via MySteinberg? I guess here it will not get any attention…,.

Yes I have a few days ago with a crash report and no response yet.

I too have seen unusual asio spikes/Dropouts using the 10.0.50 update(Pretty unusable) , I’ve had to go back to 10.0.20 and everything is cool again. I’m suspecting that it’s a plugin that needs an update. There has been a recent windows update as well so that could also be a factor.

Same here, had to uninstall the update. Everything is fine with 10.0.40. Steinberg, you naughty boys !

Cubase 10.0.50
List of resolved issues
The following list details resolved issues and improvements in this version:
ID # Area Issue

CAN-24154 Direct Offline Processing
Fixed a possible crash when applying REVerence as a Direct Offline Process.

CAN-24848 Direct Offline Processing
Improved compatibility for Antares Autotune Graph Mode when applied as a Direct Offline Process.

CAN-24861 Export Project folder no longer gets changed unintentionally
when exporting AAF files.

CAN-24804 MixConsole Linked Panners are now restored correctly when
loading a project.

CAN-23108 Plug-ins The sound quality for Distroyer when used with
Oversampling option active has been improved.

There wasn’t much in this update, hard to imagine something could cause such great issues.

I’m curious as to how many people here have - or have not - or unbeknownst to them have had their Windows 10 update prior or just after this update.

I cannot really reproduce this here on my Windows 10 system. As far as I could gather, this is independent from certain projects and happens on all projects that worked fine in 10.0.40? What about plug-ins? Does this also happen with Steinberg-only projects? I have searched our support tickets but could not find anything unusual. There was one customer who reported issues with drop outs that go away if any track in the project is frozen and unfrozen again. Does this help in any of the reported cases here?
Either way, I created a bug entry for this one now. The ID has been added to the topic subject.

After rolling back to 10.0.40, all works fine again.
(Windows 10 user here)

Hi,

Apart from very good questions from Ed, I would like to ask all of you for:

• Sample Rate of your project?
  • Bit depth?
  • Used Buffer Size (what happens if you increase/decrease it)?
  • ASIO Guard settings?
  • Are your plug-ins up-to-date?
  • Do you somehow touch one of the updated areas (Direct Offline Processing, AAF, Distroyer)?

Thank you

Hi,

Could you attach the crash file, please?

Also, any difference in Safe Start without preferences?

I actually rolled back my whole system to before the install so can’t do any testing now. When I did that I was also getting a crash and it turned out Magic a/b was crashing Cubase when it had a missing file. I’m assuming this was the cause for the 10.0.5 crash but I am bit reluctant to install that now given the problems everyones else is having.

Hi’

Havn’t used Cubase for a long while, opened it yesterday (without knowing this thread) and had a lot of drop outs.
Updated to 10.0.5 without better result. Instead I opened c9 which behaved the very same way.
Today I tried my luck again with lots of drop outs and “freezing”. The whole screen freezes and do not react to any commands. When monitoring the audio performance meter, it’s frozen too. Until it freezes, I notice way more action on it than usual.
Noticed if I am able to open the studio setting window and click reset, the system unfreezes and I can continue recording/playback.
A few minutes ago the whole system just crashed and shut down. No message no nothing just, boom: over and out.
I really do hope Steinberg will fix this soon as Cubase for the time being is absolutely unusable in this house.

This is not the reported issue. An update from 10.0.40 to 10.0.50 is causing high CPU usage (topping out ) and ASIO spikes. Reverting to 10.0.40 in some cases (like mine) seems to resolve the issue. Cubase 9.5 is also not affected

Hi,

Again, please… Is somebody willing to share more info, Ed and me, we asked in my last post, please?

Apart from very good questions from Ed, I would like to ask all of you for:

• Sample Rate of your project?
  • Bit depth?
  • Used Buffer Size (what happens if you increase/decrease it)?
  • ASIO Guard settings?
  • Are your plug-ins up-to-date?
  • Do you somehow touch one of the updated areas (Direct Offline Processing, AAF, Distroyer)?

48Khz sample rate.
24 bit depth
Buffer didn’t fix it, went up to 1024
ASIO guard medium
All plugs up to date
I didn’t change anything

Also tried to update again last night. Still exhibits the same behavior. I still wonder if this has anything to do with Cubase and high core count Skylake-X chips. I’ve made a new thread about 10.0.3 when using low buffers and random pops and clicks that doesn’t happen with Reaper or Studio One. Disabling Turbo in the BIOS fixes it but then disables your overclock which is a pretty big difference in performance. I haven’t tried disabling Turbo for 10.0.5 to see if it fixes the issue.

The real odd thing though is task manager CPU usage for Cubase is actually double that of 10.0.3 for the same project. I will check some of the other options.