[CAN-27408] Cubase 10.5 completely slow on Mac Mojave

I have the exact same red screen thing with graphics here.

After that happens you really need to quit Cubase and open it again as the huge memory leak starts happening and it’ll be swapping like crazy.

I’m on Mojave 10.14.6 with an RX580 card at 4k Retina using Cubase 10.5.5.

I wonder if its certain plugins causing it. Its still usable for me, just nowhere near as good as an experience as 10 was.

Haha, “forced rest function” sounds like something Apple would say to justify slowing your system or iPhone down with an OS update.

My MacPro is the 16core model with 192gb ram.

And SSD is?
In fact, I’m going to buy a 2019mac pro.
I want to refer to your configuration.

@David90

Do you really need 16 core and 192gb RAM for music production ?

I thought 12core and 32/48gb is more than enough for mixing

Back to the thread … 10.5.10 is the most desirable update ever … maybe coming this week :arrow_right:

Just a 1TB for internal. I have 8tb of external SSDs over a OWC dock for my sample libraries. So the internal drive is just for the OS, DAW and plugins.

In my case yes, we compose and produce music for film here. So we’re loading a lot of samples into ram, plus we need the processor speeds as some of our projects go well over 1000 channels with plenty of VSTs.

If I was only mixing, a 12 core with 48gb of ram would be more than enough, overkill actually. The base model 8 core would be what I’d go for.
My trashcan MacPro was a 12 core and it handled mostly everything I threw at it. This 16 core is a big step up though. Bigger projects which struggled on the 12 core playback without any hitch and aren’t even hitting 85%.

Lets hope!!!

Thank you for your reply.
My studio is a personal micro composing studio.
It happens to require more memory and CPU.
At present, my computer is 2013mac pro.
It has 6-core CPU and 64g memory, but now the performance is a little insufficient.
I hope your recommended configuration can meet my work needs.
Thank you and good luck

Yup on Mojave and Radeon pro vega 56 on my imac pro.
At 1st i thought my graphic card was malfunctioning.

@Steinberg does this seem ok to you?
Don’t you think that other then making the update you should take responsibility on the matter and compensate the users/businesses that was hurt just because you cared more about releasing a NEW product then actually FINISHING it?!

Yup! Agreed. This is a problem since last year. We should AT LEAST either be refunded or get a free update to 11. A lot of the composers in my facility have talked about invoicing Steinberg for the work and time lost during all of this.

Steinberg never gave anything to anyone in the history because of his mistake :unamused: but this is now a highlight :frowning:

The only thing you can do is NOT to buy next paid update until you are satisfied with its quality.

exactly. not buying next update until 11.5.3 at least

The thing that annoys me is that they are reading this thread, and choosing not to replay to it, probably hoping that it will all blow away once they release a stable update.

Is there a Lawyer in the crowd?

I have had a lot of graphics problems, crashes and beach balls with 10.5 but a fair amount has actually been plugin-related.
After realising this I have been able to resume working in 10.5. :slight_smile:

Oeksound Soothe = turn off OpenGL in the plugin prefs otherwise beach ball party will ensue in Cubase 10.5.
Empirical Labs Arousor = downgrade from 2.2 to 2.1 or it’s highly likely to crash in Cubase 10.5. According to Empirical Labs 2.2 isn’t stable. Somewhat weird since I couldn’t find anything on ther webpage about it. :unamused:
XLN Audio XO = Don’t use it in Cubase 10.5 until the next bug fix. Major bug causing constant beach balling when rendering audio. I reported the bug in the beginning of December and according to their support a bug fix is now imminent.
Softube Console 1 = Major graphics bug/issue in 10.5. Avoid using until bug fix arrives from Softube and/or Steinberg. Softube is working on it but couldn’t give me any info on how soon. They recommended me to downgrade to Console 1 2.4.74:75 (which is 32-bit) until further notice.

I still have some weird graphics issues. The playhead disappears from time to time which of course is annoying but at least I am able to work. Depending on what hardware configuration you have, the result of the above actions might vary, but for me it has solved the worst problems.

Have none of those plugins and still have the graphic issues.

Yes, as I wrote, I still have weird graphics issues, but at least I don’t have constant beach balls rendering Cubase useless. Since everyone has different configurations with hardware/software it seems every case is different but it appears that you and I have similar computer setups. Same OS, same computer, same graphics card, yes? I wonder how much of it is Apple’s fault? Mojave 10.14.6 seems to be real crap.

It’s just not worth going through all that trouble to STILL end up having issues. Rather just stay on v10 until Steinberg sort themselves out if you need absolute stability.

This has REALLY put a big pain for all of us at my facility. I hope Steinberg are reading these comments. Some of the guys here are seriously thinking about switching to Logic after all of this. It’s almost Feb now and something that went on sale in NOVEMBER is still not working. v11 is probably out in 3 months time, which means we spent all this money on updates to only have a new version for 3 months (thats provided we even get a working update before the start of Feb)!! Absolutely crazy.