[CAN-27408] Cubase 10.5 completely slow on Mac Mojave

I have the same problem. Unable to use 10.5 ;/

This is a killer problem! Has anybody from Steinberg reproduced it yet?

today i worked 3 hours long with no problem.
It was only a recording session in the studio (no mixing , so i did not use plugin, just compressor and eq)
The last time when i had problem it was a mixing job, and using lot of plugin and vsti.
it can be that it comes from a plugin? Maybe ?

It’s possible. I’ve noticed that 10.5 will sometimes continue playing audio without problems for a long time even when the gui is frozen and that clicking away from Cubase, eg on a finder window, will get rid of the beach ball sometimes. I don’t know what that tells us!

I had a thought that it might be related to Kontakt, but it seems to happen in projects without Kontakt but with other VSTs. If it is plug-in related it might account for the fact that Steinberg did not pick it up in testing. Will try some more experiments tomorrow.

Update: I found this problem intermittent. There is one particular project which shows this problem. I tried removing all the plugins one by one. Deleted tracks one by one but problem is with project even with one track in it. My all other projects are ok. There has been no problem for last few days.

I have been testing the program with a lot of different plug-ins and the problem is not related to a specific plugin. The problem seems to be somehow related to the cubase program itself. Either a random plugin stops working, it´s not possible to move any controll or fader, but cubase still plays the audio, or several random plug-ins or FX plug-ins just spikes the CPU for 3-4 sec or longer, could be just one plugin or more, or even steinberg FX can give spikes at random occasions (like the new MultiTap delay), only one channel open and only one insert fx.

Loading times within the preset browsers for either steinberg plug-ins or other plugz takes up to 30 sec for some occasions.

Audio drop outs for 3-10 sec, the colorball spinns and makes the program hang for a wile, and if you move the mouse around, Cubase project window makes some flashes and returns to normal for a few seconds and then the procedure starts all over again until you force end it.

Sometimes everything works fine for 1-2 hours, all controls and faders and knobs work, and then suddenly the audio drops out for no reason at all and the program starts to behave like sh*t.

I have tried to increase the buffer size in ASIO and turned on/off the ASIO guard, changed the Mutlithread option, make the audio boost in priority, without luck…

Cubase 10 works fine, still have it on my Mac, no audio drop out no CPU spikes.

Please all, send a Support Request Form to Steinberg in your accout page at “My Steinberg” so they understand the seriousness in this problem.

Im on a MacBook Pro Retina, mid 2012, OS Mojave (latest) 16GB, SSD 512, CPU 2,3

Have a nice day all!

Having the same issue with 10.5 and Mojave…

I was working on a project w/video for an hour or so, then the beachball pops up (noticed it when adjusting the standard EQ), then managed to stop it by clicking on the arrange window (then furiously hitting CTRL+S lol). Then it did it again, but longer… and managed to get it to the pointer again, but then right after, beachball again but it then locked up and crashed.

Very problematic here as well. MacBook Pro 2013 with Mojave.

The MIDI editor and Mixer cannot be used at all when the track is playing (the famous colorball is more or less constant, though the audio is playing good).

Random freezes and crashes, very often. Real-time peak meter is randomly reaching the top … as it use to do before 10.5 as well.

And I removed my version 10. Not good at all. Seems performance is getting a little worse with every version on Mac.

Same here.

Mojave 10.5. The application worked perfectly for 4 or 5 days, then suddenly everything is slow-motion. The colored wheel keeps turning, then a brief break of 2 second, then it kepps turning again.

Unusable.

Just chiming in with my experience, which I posted in a separate thread. I was having very similar issues, and seem to have found a fix for my system, which was to toggle the new option in Preference, Click in top half of ruler to activate loop.

I managed 5 hours of uninterrupted work after doing this. Not sure if this was a fluke, or a working ‘fix’. Previously I couldn’t work for more than a few minutes before Cubase locked up as described by many here. Will continue with 10,5 today and see how things roll.

There are a couple of other workarounds on that thread…

R

Same here.
On 10.5 Mojave.
The app worked fine for 2-3 days, then suddenly the wheel started spinning after opening a project: now it’s 2 days of colored wheel spinning for almost 10 seconds, then 2 seconds of activity then back to spinning again.I had to switch back to v10.

Unusable.

Toggling the preference for ruler/loop didn’t work for me.

I found a workaround, which is to create a new project in 10.5 and then import all the tracks from the old project. The project will play after that - but unfortunately, it seems the import function sometimes does not bring the automation status with it (i.e. the green R is not set on some tracks). I’ve reported that as an issue. At the moment the only workaround to that seems to be to manually cross check the automation statuses between the old and the new projects. But at least it’s possible to work on the project in 10.5.

On the other thread there is a workaround which only works on old projects that have not yet been saved in 10.5, which may be better in that case as it doesn’t involve an import.

R

Sorry folks - this fix worked for a while but now the problem is back. Back to the drawing board.

R

Can someone from Steinberg comments here?

Hello everybody,
yesterday impossible to work. :imp:
Cubase was freezing lot of times, and I always had to close it and then open it again to resume.
So i decide to upgrade Mojave OS to Catalina …
But it was a very bad idea. The imac went back to the after sales service, impossible to start. :exclamation:
There are days like that … :neutral_face:
So i hope that when the imac come back steinberg will have done an update.

we keep hope !
And may the groove be with you. :mrgreen:

Chiming in here to say that I’m also having this problem on Mojave 10.14.6. Cubase 10.0.50 works fine however. Hoping to see a fix soon.

Hi all,

To help get a fix ASAP, please consider reporting the problem to Steinberg by raising a support request in ‘my Steinberg’.

Best,

R

Also have this issue. Randomly.