Can any of the new compressors act as a Mix Buss Compressor?

I guess it’s just what the title says. I don’t really want to download more plugins, so I’m wondering if anyone uses the stock plugins (specifically the new ones) for this purpose.

yes, why wouldn’t they be able to do that? If you can make them sound like you want why not? it is all about the settings. Some prefer sidechain control on their bus compressors, some want a certain ratio for their mix. use them and if you are not satisfied try another :slight_smile: I don’t really use a lot of stock plugin myself, but I know the Steinberg stuff is good

1 Like

As far as I know, none of the many compressors in Cubase as good as they are are designed as bus compressors in the way that the SLL is for example. Doesn’t mean you can’t use one as a bus compressors but generally, bus compressors are designed for groups of instruments or entire mixes better than other compressors. I’m really surprised Steinberg hasn’t added a true bus compressor.

1 Like

Any compressor can be used as a bus compressor. Same like a bus compressor can be used on single tracks. It’s just the matter of liking the outcome. Usually people are pointing VCA compressors as the best for the bus but it really depends on the genre of music. So even the most basic compressor in Cubase should be able to do the job.

Some 3rd party plugins have additional features for their plugins made for the bus. Others are trying to have special “character” and/or trying to recreate some famous old compressors etc. IMO compressors in Cubase are not as good as some 3rd party plugins at bringing a special character. But it’s just my experience and I’m not making every single music genre.

1 Like