Can I add a layer to a sound that comes with Hypnotic Dance?

Hi,

Does anyone know if it should be possible to add another layer to a sound of the VST sound instrument set as “HYPNOTIC DANCE”?

Now I can add another layer with sound (only a sound from the Halion Sonic bank, not from Triebwerk or Hypnotic dance), but then Cubase is crashing within a few seconds and come’s with an error message…

Can someone please explain??? Chris?

gr,
Paul

Hi there,

you can add several layers, if you are using the content set in our HALion 4.

Cheers,

Marcus

Hi, thanks for responding.

I just did some tests… Looks like it’s also possible within Halion Sonic because it also has a edit mode where you can add layers… But after a few minutes it crashes…

When I just using Halion SE or Halion Sonic with the default sounds without layering added… It is not crashing…

Do you have experience with this? Can this be bugfixed?

gr,
Paul

Hi there,

\

1. The Coentnet sets are restriected, so you are not able to use a single layer of the content set.

2. You can add up to 3 additional Layers in HALion Sonic, but only in HALion 4 you have the full access to import samples, programm layers or more than 3 layers.

3. You can not add a Triebwerk, Hypnotice Dance preset as a layer, they are restricted.

I have absolutely no problems to add new layers in HALion Sonic in addition to the content presets.

1. The Content sets are restricted, so you are not able to use a single layer of the content set.
    A1: OK, so I understand there is a restriction. The only recommends I can give for a next Halion update is to also technically restrict this possibility. Now I’m able to first select a Hypnotic sound and add some sounds to a layer from the “halion Sonic Factory content”. For a few minutes it works, then Cubase crashes…

PS: I initially bought last week this Halion Sonic for these functionality… so you understand that I’m just a little bit disappointed that I can only create layering features with sounds that comes with Halion Sonic.

1. You can add up to 3 additional Layers in HALion Sonic, but only in HALion 4 you have the full access to import samples, programm layers or more than 3 layers.
    A2: OK, thanks for update

2. You can not add a Triebwerk, Hypnotice Dance preset as a layer, they are restricted.
    A3: See A1… looks like it is possible for a short notice when you first start with a Hypnotic sound… till Cubase crashes.
    A technical restriction should be better so people has not the possibility to add a layer to a triebwerk or Hypnotic preset.

Thanks for responding,
Paul

I have absolutely no problems to add new layers in HALion Sonic in addition to the content presets…

Using cut and paste I have no problems with creating sounds in Halion Sonic using a mixture of layers from Hypnotic Dance, Triebwerk, Dark Planet or a HS preset layer. Any created sound can then be saved as a user sound. I don’t perceive any major restriction in the content sets.

The restriction won’t touch your user presets, but if you want to save them as a VST 3 Preset with Samples to use it on another computer…you will reach the restriction (When samples are used in the preset/layer).

Strange, it doesn’t work stable on my system. I understand from Marcus it was restricted. Will try it again.
Thanks for responding.

gr,
Paul

Hi Paul,
perhaps I should put something right here! No matter if protected or restricted, user actions should never lead to a crash, this is of course a bug and will be fixed.
The restriction Marcus mentioned is in your case negligible because VST Instument Set programs and layers are combined to the concerning license. And as long as the USB key is connected it’s of course possible and desired to copy and paste layers between factory content, VST Instrument Sets and User-Presets to create your own custom programs*.

best regards
Gerrit

*As you can assign only a single “Library name” to a user program it can be difficult to find out which licenses on the Steinberg Key are required to load a custom Program that consists of 4 Layers joined together from different VST Instrument Sets. Although the used “Macro pages” will give information about the origin of a layer, later on.