Can I do trill or arpeggio easily?

Dear everyone

I am using Dorico Pro now

I want to play the trill or arpeggio by simply inserting such articulations there (from the right-hand toolbar)
without actual manual insertions of trilled or spreaded notes

Does Dorico have options enabling such features?

Thank you and have a nice weekend

Yes, of course: A regular trill is in the Ornaments panel (tr icon), under Baroque and Classical ornaments. Select the note to trill and click the tr symbol (or type ShiftO tr Return). By default you get a diatonic trill with the symbol and a wavy line for the duration of the note. All of these attributes and more can be altered in Properties.

Arpeggio lines are in the next section of the panel. You can make an arpeggio extend across both staves of a piano by selecting all the notes in the chord first.

1 Like

To amplify @Mark_Johnson’s answer. Only trills and arpeggio ornaments will play. Mordents, turns and other ornaments (currently) do not play.

3 Likes

This reply(inquiry) was just solved

Please refer to another comment by me below

=======
Dear Mark
Thank you so much for your help and comment

However, I cannot hear the actual trill there though the trill ornaments are inserted on those notes

May I ask
How can I hear the trill or arpeggio by pressing “Play” button?

Thank you

This will probably require help with playback; not my area.

(Thanks to Janus, and sorry I misinterpreted the OP to be about the score.)

To Mark:

Oh I see … !!!

tr works
but other ornaments don’t work

OK I understand

Thank you so much for your kindness
See you again and have a nice weekend, Mark

Dear Janus

Oh, as you told me
I just found
tr really works all right
but other ornaments don’t work

I tried to play other ornaments such as supported appoggiatura trill
which does not play

Now I understand
Only tr and arpeggio will play

Thank you so much for your help
and see you again, Janus

Hello @morphism welcome to the Dorico forum, This is a frequently asked question. I do a lot of baroque work and none of the standard baroque ornaments play back unfortunately, and also, the trill only starts on the principal note and you cannot have trills that playback starting on the upper note, as per some earlier practice. So it’s quite limited. Worse, the trills are so mechanical, which is a great pity, given that trills are supposed to subtle ornaments.

Just as a kind word of advice and no criticism, it’s always a good idea to search for terms related to your question on the forum because by this stage in Dorico almost everything has been discussed and/or answered before.

There is some discussion on the forum about how to implement other ornaments to playback but it is done with hidden ossia staves or similar and I have never been able to work out how to do it, even given the explanations here, so for me, it’s not worth the trouble and I just live without them.

1 Like

There’s quite a lot to clarify or correct here.

Screenshot

The behaviour of Trills can be controlled in the Playback Options.

First of all, the Playback of trills depends on whether your sample instrument has a trill. You can set Dorico to use your sample’s trills, if you have Trills mapped in your Expression Library. Otherwise, Dorico will do the trill itself.

Dorico’s default playback of trills can be improved, certainly. Set the playback to accelerate from Normal speed to Fast Speed; set the upper note as starting pitch; and set the values for the three speeds to 8, 10 and 12 – or even less, like 6, 8 and 10. It may depend on the music.

You can then do a slower trill by manually setting the speed in the Properties panel. The properties of an individual trill can also be configured with all of these options above (as well as the interval).

They may still be a bit mechanical, but certainly improved. Arpeggios can also be controlled in Playback Options.

2 Likes

One other clarification. Unless Dorico has changed since Ossias were implemented, I am pretty sure what Dorico calls an ossia does not play back at all. On the other hand, added staves (from the Staff context menu) will do that even if hidden.

ossiaDemo.dorico (481.2 KB)

2 Likes

Dear Andro
Nice to meet you, Andro

Thank you so much for your detailed advise
I understand all of your guides
I also practised trill of Dorico just before, and the performance is not that good as you told me
So I decided to implement trill by myself manually

Thank you again for all of your message
Your message helped me a lot
Have a nice weekend and see you again, Andro

Dear Ben
Hello, nice to see you again, Ben
Your detailed message helped me so much!
I will follow and try as you suggest
I can test Dorico’s trill according to your guide. I will try

Thank you so much for your kindness again
and see you again, Ben

Dear Derrek
Hello, nice to see you again, Derrek
I downloaded your dorico file and will check what you suggest
Thank you so much and see you again, Derrek

@benwiggy That’s news to me about upper note/principle note trills - and good news!

Sometimes I think my ignorance increases every day.

As I said, I am such a dolt that I have not been able to understand the advice about how to customise trills. I need to come bac, to it someday when I am setting more 18c scores.