Can I edit tempo of pre-recorded audio via tempo map?

Well wonder of wonders, last night when I tried it again, that is, editing the playback speed of my audio via points on the tempo track, it worked, and the metronome followed and everything! Not sure what I did the first time–had some warp tabs too maybe? This time just defined the grid in the sample editor via the definition tab, manual adjust.

So NOW–is there a way, or is there not, to somehow copy that grid definition from one audio file to another, so they’ll be adjusted together when I edit the tempo track? Anybody? Somebody really smart?? Please!!!

I did notice that there are indeed artifacts in my time stretching no matter which of the MPEX algorithms I use–so of course I want Elastique Pro/C6.

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Well, actually audiowarp is just a general term for everything involved in timestretching and pitch shifting audio in Cubase, so I´m not really sure, what exactly you´re refering to…!? Basically to make absolute adjustements in tempo, you need to learn Cubase “absolute timing-values” about the audio file. Which is what you do when you create a tempo map and lock the audio on it. The “tempo map manipulation method” is easy, the tricky part is to “lock” the audio to the tempo track, especially when the audio file does not have a fixed tempo / timing. But I think that has been improved in C6, since you can now simply tell Cubase to adapt the tempotrack to the single audio file(s) (At least I think I read that somewhere).
Does that answer your question somehow…?

The same thing shown in my short video for a single track also works for several tracks.

Probably a dumb question, but wouldn’t simply putting the audio file(s) in Musical Mode (by checking that box in the pool) do what it takes to " …adapt the tempo track to the single audio file(s) …"?

That works with files that have a consistent and fixed tempo. Or variable-tempo files that need relative tempo changes. But won´t so well with freely recorded material with tempo variations, you want to quantize to absolute tempo values - then you´ll have to define every single bar of the file.

After a few hours of working with a test project, I see it was a dumb question:

Putting it in Musical Mode (checking the box in the pool) adapts the music track (MIDI or audio) to the tempo track, not the other way around.

Maybe relevant to this part of the discussion: Page 273 of the C6 Manual has a section: “Adjusting complex audio material to the project tempo using Musical Mode”.

Looks like the way it works is a) You “define” where the beats are in the audio material, then b) you put it in musical mode.

Here’s why I ask about COPYING a definition from one file to another: I’m dealing with stereo acoustic guitar recordings, with a vocal recorded at the same time. If their grids aren’t EXACTLY in the same sample positions, and I mess with time stretching via the tempo map, I will get all kinds of unwanted phasing problems.

I’ve gotten suggestions that C6 will let you have identical grids for different files/clips. I can’t see how you can with C5. Anybody know the answer?

Yes, as written already…