Can I listen to inputs on Cubase without an input channel?

I just got the UR824 after using interfaces by many other companies (MOTU, Presonus, Mackie), I figured that the UR824 would offer the best integration, but it seems a little TOO integrated…

Main issues I’m trying to figure out:

• When Cubase is open it takes over the DspMixFX and suddenly I can’t hear my keyboards unless (a) a project is open and (b) the keyboard inputs are loaded into the VST mixer and the track is armed. Is there any way around that? I would like to be able to listen to other inputs that are not currently setup in the Cubase mixer.

• My input levels even though they are almost at clipping, are a lot softer than the sound I get from any other sound on my computer (whether iTunes, YouTube or a voice memo emailed from a phone). Is there any way to bring down the computer volume coming through the UR824? There doesn’t seem to be a channel dedicated to the computer audio.

Please take the time to answer - I really need help on this.

Thanks,
Chony

PS: My equipment: Cubase 7.0.6, UR824, CC121. iMac 3.4Ghz i7, 20GB RAM

BUMP

If anyone could please answer this - surely there’s an easy yes or no answer to this question.

Can I listen to my keyboard through the UR824 without having an input channel set up in Cubase?

Thanks!

BUMP

I’m getting no replies from anyone - unfortunately I’m going to have to return this unit. If anyone sees this soon, please let me know if you have any answers…

Thanks!

Hi Chony

I think what you want to do is possible. The UR boots into the last confiduration you set up with the dsp software(even though you don’t use this in Cubase)I you then send the keyboard through a channel you are NOT using in Cubase, it should be fine. I have my office computer setup with a Steinberg C1 which plays through channels 7 & 8 on the UR, and also runs guitar rig when I need it, very often the studio computer is OFF but I can still play through it, hope this helps

Best Regards

Dave

chony

I have been using the 824 for a few months. I have not been able to do what you describe - that is run Cubase without a project open and still drive audio output. It has not been a problem because I have no reason to run Cubase without a project configured. But I’m interested in this. The 824 is supposed to accommodate direct monitoring.

On your other issue with the PC audio I believe you are correct. There is no way for the 824 to control your computer audio. I think most installations have the 824 line outputs driving a set of powered studio monitors. That’s what I have.

Hi MrGordion and All

One definitely CAN run the UR without a Cubase project open using the dsp software, which is how one would use it if one wasn’t using Cubase (I occasionally use it with REAPER for stuff I did on it years ago). I found that itá all down to saving a configuration in the dspmix software and when the UR boots up that’s what it will initially use.

Best Regards

Dave