Can I map computer keyboard key to VST button?

I am using Magic A/B to compare reference tracks to a song I’m mastering. Is there a way to just quickly assign a computer keyboard key to the a/b toggle switch on the VST plugin? I looked at the “Remote Control Editor” but it seems to only work for midi input. Thanks!

Hi,

I’m sorry, there is no Key Command for the Switch between A/B Settings.

There is Toggle A/B Settings function in the Edit folder of the KeyCommand. To be honest, I don’t know what does it do, but it doesn’t work to the A/B switched in the plug-in window, to me.

Sorry for the confusion. The particular VST I am using is called Magic AB. It doesn’t have anything to do with the “toggle A/B settings” that Cubase gives your for plugins…

To be more clear…I have a VST with a button. I want to assign a key command to that button. Can I do that? It’s one of those things that is a piece of cake to do in Ableton, but I’m not seeing a way to do it in Cubase. Thanks!

I see.

I’m sorry, this is not possible; you could assign a MIDI Command, but only to the dedicated plug-in instance in the dedicated Channel and slot. Not as an universal Command for all of these plug-in instances.

It would only be for one dedicated instance of the plugin. Is there a way to assign a computer keyboard key instead of a Midi note? Like the letter “w” for example…it seems like using the keyboard in the transport does not send midi.

Hi,

Unfortunately it’s not possible to assign a Ke Command. The Virtual Keyboard does send the MIDI signal, but you cannot route it to the Generic Remote Device.

Toggle A/B Setting is for switching between two different EQ curves in the Cubase channel EQ. It works perfectly as long as you have the EQ window in focus.

RE: the plugin A/B button, I’m using Autohotkey to trigger this via a key command and that works very well.

You can probably do this using AutoHotKey (or whatever it’s Mac equivalent is?). It’s great for stuff like this. There can be a bit of work involved in setting it up though so it depends how much you want it.

On Mac, I’m using QuickKeys.

I have come back to this in the hopes of getting this to work. I downloaded QuickKeys. Martin-are you able to use QuickKeys to control a toggle button on a vst within Cubase? I’m brand new to it but I can’t figure out how to do it. Frustratingly I also can’t seem to get a basic midi mapping with the generic remote to work with a simple pad on my controller to be mapped to the button on the VST. I will say it is so frustrating how truly bad Cubase is at doing simple mapping.

Look into TouchOsc / Lemur:

https://hexler.net/software/touchosc

Used by loads of guys (EDM producers, djs like Deadmaus, film composers like Hans Zimmer / Junkie XL, etc.) for remote controlling their VSTIs, fx, and daw (faders, mutes, eq, etc.) in DAWs like Cubase and Ableton Live. It basically opens up a world of remote controlling pretty much any button / parameter on any function within the DAW, including 3rd party plugins, etc. Takes some learning, but it is extremely powerful and would be very easy to use to do what you’re asking.

I currently use it to control my studio hardware (at least any hardware that can receive controller messages, like RME), as it works similar to MIDI commands, but much more extensive. I also use it to display my Cubase mixer meters (including faders, pan pots and LED meters) on my iPad. Just an awesome protocol and a HUGE community of people that can help you out. (see forum on page I linked). I also have Kontakt completely mapped to a touch screen, so I would assume your VST would be compatible with this kind of program.

You can also put it on your cell phone (android or iphone) and potentially have a giant A/B button sitting right next to you on your phone.

Here’s one guys setup with Cubase: - YouTube

Hi,

I’m afraid, you misunderstand the behavior of Key Commands/MIDI controllers in Cubase and VST Instruments.

With QuickKeys, you can send:
a) Common Key Commands (triggered by other Key Command)
c) Mouse commands
b) Macros

You cannot achieve real “object” on the screen, if Key Command is not assigned to the object by the developer. The only way would be to click on it (by using Quick Keys, for example, but in this case you have to be sure the object is always at the same place).

To be able to trigger the button, use Generic Remote Device or Quick Controls in Cubase. Generic Remote is used for a “stable” objects, you are using in all projects (like Transport buttons, trigger Cubase functions and commands, control Master Channel). Quick Controls are used for a dynamic values (if you want to control multiple parameters by one controller; regarding to focus - parameters A, B, C on plug-in 1, parameters X, Y, Z on plug-in 2).