Can I open old projects in the newest Cubase version?

I currently have an old Cubase version, around 5 I think, and I have many projects that are done on that version. Will I be able to open these projects if I buy Cubase 9? If not, will I keep my old Cubase version when I install the new one?

Yes you can! Only with versions prior to SX you can’t.

…in addition to Nickeldome’s correct answer yes, you will still be able to open your older projects in 5 if you so wish.

The only issues you may have will be with projects with 32 bit plugins. These will open in Cubase 9 but you will get error messages telling you that the plugins are missing as Cubase 9 will not run 32 bit plugins (unless you have jBridge or similar).

You can also keep all your old versions, you don’t need to uninstall them to install the latest version.

I’d recommend keeping your old version(s) because, yes, you can open old projects in the new versions but you can always also across unforseen problems as well (like crashes or FX settings disappearing), so it helps to be able to load up the old project in the old version to maybe export/render some audio or export track archives and the like.

Mike.

“I love it when an answer comes together”. (Loosely translated after Hannibal of the A-team) :smiley:

Hi

My experiences are like this.

If your files are made with a cubase version “actual -2” (e.g. cubase 7) a lot of re-work have to be done.
The routing / inserts / plug-Ins (the known issue with the 32bit) / and more must be adapted to your current set-up - besides all the error messages you get - because the actual set-up has been taken from the working cubase version (e.g. cubase pro 9) as a pre-condition.

The easier way is to just import the wav.-files (if you have) and re-work from that point on. All other suggestions are waste of time - IMHO. :wink:

Cheers

Whereas I’ve not found this at all. I can open projects from Cubase 6 with no issues (other than the 32 bit plugins). Bizarre! :wink:

Nor have I experienced similar issues? And I’ve even converted *.arr and *.all projects created in Cubase Atari! version 1 first converted to *.cpr in SX1. But that was midi only of course. The only incompatibility issue I’ve had was the switch to another midi patchbay because I used Midex5 on the Atari back then. But after assigning the correct ports and channels to the correct synths the midi played back just fine. Even the recorded Sysex with patch information for several synths still uploaded correctly!

The biggest culprit will indeed be the use of 32bit plugins that have been used in the past? But the midi data should just play back fine? So you can route this to another compatible 64bit VST.

Be aware though of controller data (pitchbend, modwheel…etc) because it might not translate correctly to the new instrument?

Yes you can, I just opened a few projects from 2014 looking for some MIDI clips I didn’t export. The only issue I ran into was loading VST instruments/plugins, I’ve reformatted my PC and changed the install locations so CB could not resolve them. The projects opened fine after I canceled out the loading. This was a problem I created, not CB’s fault. If you haven’t moved install paths around you should be fine.

A few more questions:

1. So when I install the new version, will I get a choice where I am asked whether I would like to keep the old version or not?
  2. What are the advantages of using 64 bit vs 32 bit? I think I am currently using 32 bit
  3. I am aware that Cubase usually launches a new version every December. Does anybody know whether this will happen this year as well? If I buy Cubase today, will I be able to upgrade for free in December if they release a new one or is it better to wait?
  1. By default Cubase 64bit will be installed on another location and a new C9 profile will be created in your documents folder. So you will still be able to use both versions independently.
  2. The biggest advantage of using 64bit is that Cubase will not be restricted to the maximum 4GB memory use. It will enable you to run more plugins and with greater efficiency. You can for instance use VST3 plugins that can set to be disable when not actively used. Also more and more developers decide not to make 32 bit versions anymore because there’s less demand for them nowadays.
  3. There is already a thread running about this but no one seems to know what to expect of the upcoming upgrade. Most of the time you get a certain grace period which within you can upgrade to the latest version for free but I’m not sure how long it will be and if it’s will applicable this time around. You’d have to check this with Steinberg to be sure.

OK thanks.

Further to Nickeldome’s correct replies…

1. It’s not when you purchase Cubase that determines whether you’ll be eligible for the free upgrade to the new version, it’s when you activate it. But as already said there’s no guarantee that it will be the case this time.

Same question, and pardon my low-tech facility with constant, costly upgrades. I’m being forced to upgrade to Microsoft 10— or just switch to Apple-- because Adobe Premiere Pro changed its architecture on me after I had subscribed while using Windows 8.1. Will my hundreds of Cubase 6.5 files open WITH EFFECTS on Cubase 10 or 11, or will I have to spend weeks and weeks redoing the effects and VSTs?? Cubase pulled this long ago when I went from 3 to 6,5 and it rankled me to no end. THANKS MUCH. I want to know before I invest, or just switch to Apple and CutPro.

answer provided earlier, if you used 32bit plugins in your projects, they will not work natively on Cubase 10/11!

Hi mate, I would love your input to a similar question you have raised. I use Logic Pro these days, and I have old .arr files from my Cubase 5 days. They don’t contain audio tracks, just midi info. How can open them? It seems the only option is to import a midifile only… so, any help would be great! Thanks Tony