Can I record from one track to another in Cubasis?

I can’t figure out how to record audio from another track.

The easy workaround is to freeze the track and unfreeze it again then you will find the audio file in Cubasis trash.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip! I’m gonna have to get AUM

Hi @Jokeypokester,

Thanks for your message.

I can’t figure out how to record audio from another track.

While it should work to record audio from another track via a loopback audio device setup, Cubasis offers might some easier options:

#1 Duplicate tracks

• Select a track with the desired audio track to be copied
  • Tap the “Duplicate” button

#2 Track Freeze

• Go to “Setup/Arranger” and make sure “Unfreeze Deletes Audio Track” is unchecked
  • Select a track with the desired audio track to be copied
  • Tap the “Track Freeze” button to create a copy of the audio track
  • Tap “Track Freeze” button again, to unfreeze the previous audio track

Normally, #1 should do the job pretty quickly and easily…

Does this help and works for you?

If not, of course there are additional options e.g. loading Cubasis as an input/output in Audiobus etc. Here it would be helpful, to learn more about your usecase (what do you want to achieve by this).

Hope that helps!

Best wishes,
Lars

I want to pick up the topic.
So in my case I want to reverse audio, add reverb (record it again) and reverse it again so that the reverb is now in the front of the sample.
A quite usual procedure.

Thanks

Hi Tim,
Are you asking how to do the above in Cubasis?

yes, as one example why. Also if I make soundscapes it makes sense to process MIDI, freeze MIDi and process again and refreeze what is not available. Of course I can make a mixdown of all tracks and pick the track there. But if we have a lucky accident then I already have many useless tracks or I have to make a copy of the project and delete all tracks that are not needed before starting the mixdown. So yes, there are ways to perform but a freeze button for audio tracks would be much better as that long work around. So I wonder if I have missed something that might make my life easier.

Sadly you have missed nothing, the “work around” route is the only option, but this is easy to do without too much effort, I played and recorded a guitar E note through a reverb and created a mixdown, I then reversed this mixdown placed it in front of the guitar note. I tried to attach an audio example of this but unfortunately Cubasis won’t slow this file!

But maybe we can have that in the nexts updates. Also MPE :smiley:

I would definitely look forwards to that :slightly_smiling_face::crossed_fingers:

Hi @Tim_Goehring,

All of this should work out pretty easy and fast, using Track Freeze and the Audio Editor.

Does this work out for you?

Best,
Lars

I dont understand what should work.
Somehow I missed it.
We have a long work around, and I have been concious about it, or I have been the one who posted it.
@LSlowak If I open a new audio I m able to freeze it. So why not for an Audio that has been frozen? I m a bit worried that users share work arounds instead of Steinberg taking over the task and providing an update. Or has Cubasis been abandonned?

yes, as one example why. Also if I make soundscapes it makes sense to process MIDI, freeze MIDi and process again and refreeze what is not available.

Hi @Tim_Goehring,

Please check the “Unfreeze Delete Audio Track” and “Track Freeze Uses Mixdown Settings” located under “Setup/Mixdown”.

Does this help?

Best,
Lars

we already had that question a few times.
freeze tracks is something different from recording realtime into another track.
maybe the routing therefore is not possible or make alot of problems?

You are right on one hand. On the other if you automate the parameters you want to change on the fly you can perfectly use freeze. At least with AUV3.

My workflow is now: Make the track with all automatisation.
Then freeze it.
And now comes the important trick!
Open an audio track. If you open an Audio track then you will have the freeze function and you copy your frozen track in the new audio track. In other words that on frozen tracks the freeze is missing is a bug. It makes no sense that it s missing. That way you can process your tracks as much as you want. When the effect list reaches his end you simply freeze again copy it to the next audio track and work on.

Cheers!

i have problems with freezing, when there’s a midi sidechain input from another track.
its not bounced correctly. for this and other cases it would be useful to route tracks to other tracks and do a real time recording.
i have not found a way to fix this for now.

Generally I ll check the frozen track and for that case I d apply side chain on the frozen track.

Cheers
Tim

did that too, but cannot bounce with sidechain