Can i record notes played on VST gadget screen keyboard/pads ?

hi
I have a gadget VST on a track.
Some of the gadget synths have amazing note sequences/arpeggios .etc when you hit a pad or one of the (on screen gadget) l keyboard keys. BUT nothing will record into cubase…
Any note (just the single base sound of the patch selected) will be recorded in the track… .but if i hit a pad on the VST screen while i’m recording ,… nothing happens…
I have a horrible feeling that using the screen while you are playing the patch on the Gadget screen is for LIVE playing only…
Its really too bad…
Worst comes to worst i could record it as an mp3 via my phone or whatever and import it back. but of course that would only be wave file…

thanks.
steve

Hi,

No, you can’t record the MIDI data from the Instrument to the MIDI Track. Some Instruments can save the data as a MIDI File. Then you can either import it to Cubase, or drag-and-drop to the project.

Thanks Martin.
So i started up my Gadget on my iPad and recorded on of those layered arpeggios on a synth… Then i did a share, copy midi to dropbox.
I downloaded the midi and copied it into a track in Cubase which had that gadget (synth) loaded in…
Miraculously , the who thing played perfectly…
good enough for my needs now… i guess in the future, VSTs will be able to share more data with the host DAW so i dont have to do this…

PLEASE IF YOU CAN HELP ME WITH ONE MORE QUESTION.
I’d like to maybe upgrade my 9.5 LE AI… to version 10.
Once i save my projects can i uninstall 9.5 bfore installing version 10 ?
The only thing holding me back is maybe having to re-install all my VST synths (or do they automatically show up in an upgraded system) ?
i want this to be as painless as possible. I do have a UR12 so the new cubase should be happy and connect to it without alot of pain.
thanks again…
I just noticed that since i dropped Sonar and replaced it with Cubase … the company is folding… I’m soooo sorry.

Hi,

I would recommend to make a new thread about it, but…

You don’t have to uninstall Cubase 9.5. You can leave both side by side. These are independent executable applications, they just share the same libraries (so no worry, the library – big data – is installed once only). I would recommend to keep Cubase 9.5 (especially at the beginning) in case something doesn’t work for 100% in the new Cubase 10.

No plug-in reinstallation is needed.