Can I rewire one of two EMU audio sound cards

Hi

I run my Cubase 6 (PC 64bit windows 7) with a EMU 0404 USB sound card. However I also have an old EMU PCI 0404 sound card which has its own DSP effects chip which I would like to utilize in my DAW setup. I do understand that Cubase can only use one ASIO at a time. But I was wondering if anyone knew of a way of Rewiring the second PCI card so it could be use as a separate effects rack. I could therefore route my DAW audio send to this and make use of its DSP chip resource …

Any suggestions would be appreciated…

Hello,

You are right, it’s possible to use only one ASIO driver in the DAW. But, some drivers can merge more soundcards on it. For example ASIO4ALL can do this. This is not the best ASIO driver for, lots of developers have better own ASIO driver, but for using more sound cards, it works fine.

I don’t know the ReWire well. But if I’m right, this is a software protocol, allowing remote control and data transfer among digital audio editing and related SOFTWARE. I’m sure, ID you want to use ReWire, the applicarion has to be ReWire compatible (in this case ReWire Slave; Cubase will be ReWire Master in this case). I suppose, EMU Control Panel and FX isn’t ReWire compatible. So, I’m sorry, I’m afraid, this is not possible.

as an emu user (1820m,1616,0404), i can say this. don’t bother! the emu fx aren’t worth the cpu you would save. also, from memory, emu power fx cubase plugin only works with xp, not vista or win 7. check that though before trying…
the emu fx are good for tracking as a monitor reverb. but these days there are plenty of reverb plugins (including free ones) that are better. go find them!
ed

+1

either it’s Vista/win7 or it’s 64 bit OS that is not supported. The card works great on win7 64 but the drivers are rotten, which seems to be the case for more than a few EMU gadgets. The card/FX do not work however but don’t despair! Not only do they sound kinda meh but it seems the GUIs sliders makes it hard to make any precise adjustments or something. Not sure but it’s very hard to like. There are a few funny noises lurking in there like the Z-plane filters, but for the rest of it, as Eddie says, don’t bother.

Off topic: With E-MU 0404 USB you should give the ASIO4ALL driver a try. I now use it with my E-MU 0202 USB with Cubase 6.5 x64 and it really seems to give better ASIO performance and stability. You still can switch back to the original E-MU ASIO driver. :slight_smile:

Check that though before trying…
the emu fx are good for tracking as a monitor reverb. but these days there are plenty of reverb plugins (including free ones) that are better. go find them!