Can I try to edit "THIS". (OLD FINALE USER)

Hello,
I am a finale user. I write contemporary music.
I think about to change to Dorico. I tryed Trial ver. but I don’t find somethings I need it.

I just find the notehead changed.
1, Note position changed(only 1 note)
2, Notehead position changed
3, accidental mover
4,reverse stem
5,custim stem
6,beam extension
7,secondary beam angle move
8,beam stem adjust change.

did dorico 3.5 pro can do all this?
thanks

I am ready to dorico. but I need know this

1 is possible in engrave mode. in the horizontal spacing submode, you can not only change the global grid, but also the horizontal position of each note (small circle at the note)

5 is not possible yet

that’s all I can contribute. I am fairly sure, that most of your requests are not possible yet in dorico and you might need to go to a graphic program for them.

What does it all mean?

3 is possible in engrave mode with built in functionality
2 and 4 you can fake using the line tool or playing techniques possibly, if you hide the stem and beam and add your own.
5 in the treble clef I think is actually possible. In the bass clef it should be possible if you use hidden tuplets and create fake beams using the line tool.
6 is possible in engrave mode with built in functionality
7 - you can create a fanned accel or rit beam with the built in tools. If you need to do any weird beaming like you show there, you will need to do a fake beam with the line tool.
8. I believe you can do this if you use different voices and hide the rests, then beam across rests

benwiggy - I’m not sure why the OP wants to do most of those things shown - most of them seem rather strange, and I have no idea what they mean, and I have looked at quite a bit of contemporary music. I have a feeling he or she is just picking some crazy outlandish things they can do somewhat easily in Finale and wanting to make absolutely sure that Dorico can do all of those weird things too.

No stems must mean pick both feet up off the floor while playing?

The double note head thing means, “pass gas here”?

Extra hovering beam, I take it, means to hum a drone while playing the rhythm?

Do crossing beams mean I must pat both feet while playing, one at the toe, and the other at the heel?

I’ve seen some wonderfully strange stuff in contemporary music, but it usually ‘means something’. I’m at a loss for these as well.

This sort of thing gets right to the heart of the difference between Finale and Dorico.

If you want to do all sorts of random (sometimes absurd) notation, Finale lets you do it. And if you want the score to look amateurish and clunky, Finale will cheerfully acquiesce. Sometimes it’s what you need, I guess.

Amateurish and clunky is as amateurish and clunky does. Learn the software!
http://conquest.imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/a/a2/IMSLP67290-PMLP02799-SchmScenesFmChildhoodOp15.pdf

That’s lovely.

I said “if you want to,” you can. Of course you can make very nice-looking scores in Finale. I like to think I did for quite a few years. It just took longer.

If the only purpose of learning the software is to get the same results as another program will give you with less learning and less effort, why learn how to do things the hard way?

I think the OP was looking to find some direct equivalent for every tool in Finale’s “Special Tools” palette in Dorico, but that just isn’t realistic because it is a different program. On the flip side, Dorico obviously has a bunch of tools that Finale does not have that make certain operations a lot easier. Many of Finale’s Special Tools are not really needed in Dorico because it has other, better ways of accomplishing the same thing, often doing it correctly automatically. However, with the line tool in Dorico 3.5, it is notable that every single one of the weird notation cases in the above example can be reproduced in Dorico 3.5 by using certain workarounds, and the more straightforward ones require no workaround.

This.

While you can perform manual adjustments to notes, beams and ties in Engrave mode, you don’t need to do so because you can just define the correct behaviour globally in Engraving Options.

You can flip stems, change noteheads and reverse beams much more easily, too.