Can I Turn Off Automatic Beaming?

I’m working on a piece with no time signature, and I want to beam notes manually. Right now, Dorico automatically beams all of my eighth notes together into one huge group. I then have to unbeam everything and manually beam the groupings I want. I don’t see a way to turn off the automatic beaming and just have each eighth note entered individually. I can then go back and beam notes as needed. Does anyone know of a way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Maybe input them with a 1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1/8 (etc.) time signature then either hide the signature or remove it afterwards?

Hmmm…I might have a very long time signature as some of the bars are 60 notes or more long. I could see that working for shorter measures.

You can do it with shorter measures, then delete the barlines etc.

I use a shortcut to beam together and to break beams. So myidea reading your first post would be: once you’ve finished entering the whole piece, select all, break beams, and the apply your beamings by hand. Quite a short process!

Thanks Marc. That’s basically what I ended up doing. I created a macro for beaming notes that I could use after breaking the beams. I think it would be neat if there was a way to turn beaming on and off almost like switching font bold and italics on and off, but there may not be a huge demand for it either.

You do not have to create a macro or anything complicated : just create a shortcut key in the preferences (I use cmd-b to beam together and alt-b to break beams). Hope it helps !