Can I update 7.5.20 to 7.5.40? Why is 7.5.30 a complete ins

Why is 7.5.30 a complete install?

On the Steinberg Cubase 7.5 update page, there are two updates available. One is the “30” version and it comes as an ISO disk file and it says,

Cubase 7.5.30 - Complete Installation

The ISO images here contain all data necessary for a complete offline installation.

Above that is the download for the “7.5.40 Update”

Sigh. There is no explanation of why they provided a complete install ISO package for 30 and only a standard update for 40.

Can someone please explain?

I have read a Steinberg response elsewhere on the forum that the full .30 installer only updated what was necessary to a previous C8 installation and not the whole enchilada. However, if one had never installed C8 in the first place, it would do a full install. My guess is they didn’t have time (or forgot) to recompile an incremental .30 installer like they did with .40. Hard to say with Steinberg sometimes.

The only real downside to this is the time spent waiting for the larger .30 file to download. As long as the thing does the appropriate updating without totally trashing prefs would be my only concern.

Thanks Weasel. So can I just skip the .30 install and jump straight from .20 to .40?

At the 7.5.40 download it says:

“This download updates an existing Cubase 7.5 installation to the latest version!”.

Since it doesn’t say you need a 7.5.30 installation, just a 7.5 installation, the 7.5.40 should contain ALL 7.5 updates (including all the previous ones, i.e. 7.5.30 too).

The Complete 7.5.30 installation is only for someone who don’t have a 7.5 installation at all.

Yes, I just went from 7.5.2 to 7.5.4 last night with the .40 update. No problems.