Can I use external effects as an insert with the UR44C?

Hello all. I want to know if the UR44C can use an analog output and analog input to add external insert effects to a mic signal so I can monitor vocals. I’d also like to know if I can record both a wet and a dry signal at the same time while monitoring the wet signal.

Thanks!

You can use some of the inputs and outputs to connect an external effect.

But you cannot use the external effect for direct monitoring. There are no routing options in the dsp mix.

If you want to use the direct monitoring you could split the mic signal before the ur44c and connect both processed signal from the external effect and dry signal from the mic to some of the interface inputs.

If you are OK with monitoring through the daw and the latency is not a problem you can do the routing in the daw.

Thank you!

This seems to be something the Scarlett can do as explained here. Kind of a bummer.

How would I go about splitting the signal? Wouldn’t I need an external preamp for that?

Yes, you would.

Looks like Focusrite is more flexible in this regard. There are no routing options like this with the ur interfaces.

The simple solution would be to disable direct monitoring by soloing the daw channel in dsp mix and use the routing in your daw. Possibly create an external effect if you are using Cubase. Then you don’t need any extra hardware but you need really low latency to make it usable.

Thanks. Will I notice latency vs using the built in DSP effect monitoring?

Depends how low you can get the buffer size. But you probably would notice it.

What kind of effect is it? Can you use the onboard dsp effects while monitoring and use your external effect afterwards? That would eliminate the possible latency issue while tracking.

Not sure if I understand the problem here.
Please let me know if the following suggestion would solve your problem:

Let’s say, for ex. you have your mic on INPUT1, you send LINE-OUT-1L to your ext. effect and send it back in to INPUT5.
You use the UR’s MIX1 to send only the dry INPUT1 signal to LINE-OUT-1L.
You use MIX2 to route the wet (IN5) to LINE-OUT-2L (and PHONES2).

In your DAW, you can record both IN1 (dry) and IN5 (wet) separately.
You might need later to nudge the wet track to align perfectly with the dry signal in your DAW if your external effect gear added noticeable latency, and only if you want to use both in the same mix of course.

Connecting your headphones to PHONES2 jack, you can also quickly toggle wet-dry by selecting MIX1 or MIX2.
Monitoring on either the PHONES2 jack or LINE-OUT-1 or -2 is done without any latency (not going through the DAW).

PHONES2 jack can be used by the artist with the wet signal.
PHONES1 jack is sending the dry signal to the recording eng.

Many many other routing and wet/dry combinations are possible of course.
You can also send a click track and music to MIX2 for the artist to sing to.
If doing so, some track nudging might be needed to realign everything (to perfection…) after recording.

Hope this helped…

The only problem with this is that line out 1 and 2 is the same as the main output and mix 1. So you would send everything to the external effect, not just input 1. You would probably also create feedback loop.

That’s why I mentioned you send only the dry IN1.
Understandably, that might mean you’ll need a different routing when recording vocal with this external effect, and when you do another workflow.

Note also you can reverse MIX1 with MIX2 in my suggestion above.
Line OUT2 is not the same as the main out.