Can import from CD Drive, but not burn

Maybe I don’t mean Match Input Stream then. Maybe I mean Match Output Stream. I just always want the rendered file to be the bit depth that’s happening after the dither slot. What’s showing on the bitmeter. A 16 bit file if it’s being dithered to 16, 24 bit if it’s being dithered to 24. I think that’s what the OP expected to happen, coming from another program, and was surprised that it didn’t happen.

I also meant output stream. I can reformulate it otherwise: to know the real bit depth of the montage, the whole montage would need to be rendered internally (for analysis), before knowing to which bit format to save it to disk.
Obviously not a good workflow.

Philippe

Sorry, had no idea this was so complicated.

You say Wavelab can’t know if a plugin (like the dither plugin) quatizes to 16 bit.

Can Wavelab play a tiny random sample from the montage, and tell what the bitmeter is saying? That would accomplish the same thing to automate what I’m talking about.

That’s all I’m doing manually. Looking at the bitmeter for a very short random period of time, and setting the output file format to have the same bit depth as that, for the whole montage.

Sorry if I’m being a pain about this. On the surface it just seems to me that I’m now manually setting the file format to a fixed value based only on what I’m seeing on the bitmeter at any small random time I pick to play in the montage. And that works for me. Would just like to have it happen automatically.

I can think of a scenario if I’m not using a dither plugin where this might need to be analyzed for the whole montage I guess, but not if I’m using a dither plugin as the final thing, I wouldn’t think.

Can Wavelab play a tiny random sample from the montage, and tell what the bitmeter is saying?

Not sufficient. A montage could start with a 16 it clip, then some 32 bit clips could follow.

Philippe

Personally, I like the way things are now - even though newcomers will have to adjust. The fact I consciously have to decide the output format keeps me focused and not end up with low bit depth files after forgetting to change a setting on a dither plugin.

The only proper possibility, would be to add an option in the SDK specification, to be followed by the manufacturers that do dither plugins.

Thanks PG,

I just wish the simpler method could be added and given a different name, like Match Dither or Match Final Dither. I think most people would know what that meant, and that it would be a good aid to workflow. I’d use it all the time.

I would love to be helpful here, but I don’t yet understand the workflow of the engine. As someone who has used almost every major mastering software (for production deliveries), every one of them says:

“HEY, pick your dither in this preference. If you are generating a DDP, Burning a CD, or exporting to a 16-bit file from a higher bit-depth, I will always put this dither last.” Done.

But WL is so configurable that I don’t know if such a process could be placed in a global preference.

Just another note to remind everyone that burning a CD on Windows 10 with WLpro 9 is not working for everyone. That’s kind of a big deal.

It’s a big deal for whom it concerns for sure. But the question is, for how many does it not work? 0.002%? 20%? I don’t think there is any (Windows) software title that needs to interact with hardware and also works on all possible hardware combinations.

Arjan, I’m not sure it’s about specific hardware. I couldn’t do a first install or proper uninstall of the Gear drivers on a separate Win 10 computer either. And never got past the error in the Gear verifier. I would think there are possibly some issues with new Gear installs and Win 10 with latest Win updates.

Can’t get support from Gear. The Gear site says program developers have to do the support. Seems like Steinberg should possibly be testing this on different configurations.

My point is exactly that it’s not about specific hardware. In my case, with two Plextor burners on a Win 10 Pro (all updated) machine, I never had a problem as long as I can remember. Don’t even remember if Gear is installed or not.

If a mastering engineer with a purpose built audio PC and a clean install of Windows 10 can not read / import or burn CDs then your percentages don’t matter. This is a problem.

If users on different continents can get the 3000 Fail Error from the Gear verification program, then there is a problem.

Gear is confirming their drivers no longer work effective the within the past 6 weeks. Something changed somewhere.

Because the first thing I did with the demo of Wavelab was import a CD on regular mode and on super picky mode to compare the read errors.

Then something (WIndows?) changed and now the drivers do not load at start up.

Gear is confirming their drivers no longer work effective the within the past 6 weeks.

I am surprised. Where do you get this information from?

Philippe

Only with Windows 10 or with all versions of Windows? This is pretty serious since WL uses their drivers for burning.

Double post

I’m so glad you found this royalpainintheass. I just think it’s strange that Gear apparently didn’t tell the Gear powered software developers that there was a problem. There can’t be all that many.

But your message prompted me to try something I hadn’t before, that seems to fix the problem we were both having. At least it works here: A compatibility Install. I had tried Run as Admin, repair in add/remove, and all troubleshooting on the Gear site including manual uninstall without success, but the compatibility install seems to work fine, until they get a new installer made, I would guess.

I don’t think anybody who’s not having problems needs to do this, only somebody trying new installs on the latest Win 10, like me and RPITA. (Although it’s weird that royalpainintheass had it and lost it). But my other computer with its existing install on latest Win 10 still works fine.

1. Uninstall GearDriverInstaller in control panel installed programs if it’s there.

2. Download the GearDriverInstaller.x86.x64 from the Gear site that PG linked.

3. Right click the installer and select Troubleshoot compatibility.

4. select Try recommended settings.

5. select Test the program.

6. select Next

7. select Save these settings.

8. When done, run GearASPICheck64 from the Gear site that PG linked, and it ‘should’ be good, I hope.

Worked fine here anyway.

Actually, fwiw, I’m still on Win 10 version 1607 on both of these computers (I keep saying latest version, sorry). Don’t have the Creators update yet.

My main sound card drivers had to be reinstalled after last week’s Windows update. This has happened on more than one previous occasion. It takes considerable care to decide whose fault something like that is.