Can no longer open Dorico on iPad

Hi,
I ran into the same problem just trying out Dorico for iPad.
I stored a file on the iCloud and opened it from my iPad.
First error was “The file has been deleted” although it opened correctly.
Second error was the mentioned “Error creating zip file”.
In addition, no folder on iCloud was created during the installation.
Lastly, the app didn’t start anymore.
But I found a solution which worked for me:
As Daniel stated, the app tries to open a file which for some reason fails.
By pressing the app icon on the home screen longer, you can choose a specific file which can be opened. → App starts again.
To overcome the other problems, I just created a file directly on iPad and not on my PC/Mac. In this case, the app created the folder correctly (for me). Since then, all other errors disappeared and everything works as expected.
Maybe this helps someone.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing this tip, @BrassTrout, and welcome to the forum.

Dorico black screen (wit the big D) happened to me today. I am on version 2.4.10

I tried to import a big xml file (holst planets from musescore.org downloaded in my iCloud).

After waiting 40 seconds for the import, Dorico crashed. No quit and restart (of dorico or iPad) worked. I attach in the link below the report files from my iPad how requested from Daniel.

I will try to reinstall but also hope the problem will be addressed.
Thank you.
Chris

Dorico crash analytics data

After reinstalling Dorico I tried to open the xml file. This time I copied It in my iPad folder, opened it with the attached error. (At least it opened: one step forward…) But after short time Dorico crashed and again the black screen with the big D.
I attach also the link for the (presumably corrupted file). Nevertheless is strange that the whole app doesn’t work anymore because of a bad file…
Thank you.
Error on opening

The file that causes the crash

Hello….same thing just happened to me, trying to send a xml file from playscore 2 via “open with”…black screen of dorico;) BSOD:::))) R

I’m unable to download the MusicXML file from MuseScore because I don’t have a subscription, but the error message shown by Dorico clearly indicates that the MusicXML file is invalid in a number of ways.

Even with valid MusicXML files, such large orchestral scores are liable to push Dorico to the edge of the memory envelope allowed by iPadOS. If Dorico exceeds the maximum memory usage allowed by the operating system, it will simply be terminated.

@MaxRB, can you attach the MusicXML file you sent from PlayScore that causes the problem?

Here it is.[

Huacatay.xml|attachment](upload://qYLbvp2v67jVwScytkLbx1KM0W4.xml) (20.8 KB)

Max, your file name does not function as a link. I suspect the bracket at the end of the first line suggests you have broken the syntax of the link with a misplaced carriage return.

Hello,
PROBLEM SOLVED:)
I made a backup of my Dorico files via the Files Manager.
Deleted Dorico, after reinstalling I was able to open/import the xml file (that caused the BSOD before) as well as directly send it from playscore 2 via “open with”, no sweat here it worked as one would have expected. I am sure I was on the most recent version, but maybe some things I changed in preferences caused the problem(just a guess) any way …too late since I reinstalled it and it works perfectly. Cheers R

I just had the same issue, apparently not completely solved (it’s January), but was able to get Dorico started again by going to the Dorico folder in the Files app, and open a file that I had kept on the iPad directly from there. It now functions again…