can not start cubase -- waves uninstall?

I uninstalled my Waves plugins (didn’t use them, they were constantly causing problems) and now I can not start Cubase at all.

First thing I see: “Initializing WaveShell-VST3 9.6_x64.vst3”

Then, dialog box: Waves License Error

I click the “Skip” button.

Immediately “Cubase 8 has stopped working” … Close the program.

Might also have something to do with Melodyne: the last status message (under the dialog box with Cubase 8 has stopped working) shows: “Initializing Melodyne.vst3”. As far as I know, Melodyne is correctly installed and licensed.

Any ideas? Haven’t been able to use Cubase now for a couple of weeks.

Problem details (Windows 7, 64bit):
Problem Event Name: BEX64
Application Name: Cubase8.exe

Fault Module Name: MSVCR100.dll

Try safe start mode and perhaps delete the preferences.

Thanks for the lead.

I was looking in the Operation Manual for something like a safe start – not in the index, no matches doing a text search. Eventually found using an internet search. You’d think they’d put a section called “troubleshooting” in the manual…

Ok, found instructions for Safe Start – required moving the configuration file as described here:

https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/troubleshooting-instructions-for-cubase-nuendo-and-sequel-on-windows/kb_back/2020.html

Still failing, still hitting waves and melodyne as originally.

Ok, the offending calls to VSTs were in /Program Files/Common Files … typical sloppy Waves operation, left a reference behind after the uninstall.

I am really surprised Safe Start is not in the manual. I think they introduced it back in Version 7. Anyway, sounds like you got it sorted out, I hope…