Can Reaper do this stuff?

I love the way that Reaper works with channels. Having two highlighted and then having the volume altered on one affecting both is enough to make me want to migrate on it’s own (instead of having to link and then, later, unlink them). Also I like that volume changes are part of the undo history.

Anyway, I wrote the following questions on the Reaper forum and I thought I should post them here too to see if anyone can help answer them

Hello

There must be a million threads along these lines but I want to check whether or not I can swap and still use some essential features…

I understand that Reaper can be set to split a clip at 0 dB by default. A tempo track can be variable and speed (or slow) in a ramp (affecting MIDI tempo but leaving WAV clips be with no time stretching). Comping works in the same way as is introduced in Cubase 6. I’m right on those three points, right?

I am a big fan of drum replacement - using real drum tracks recorded in the studio, retaining the OHs and the room mic but replacing snare and kick by converting the tracks to MIDI files and using them to trigger BFD or Abbey Rd drums.

I had a look at DrumReaplacer but it complained that the effect was not in the correct folder. I checked and double checked and it is. Is this because I am using an x64 version? If I get it working it creates MIDI tracks with variable velocities and works in a comparable way to the Drumagog plugin or the automated Cubase 6 peak detector/MIDI converter thing does?

I’d really like to make the move, it looks as though Reaper is more intuitive. Also my personal grudge will be solved with Cubase taking control of whether or not the clock is externally synced regardless of sound card settings and getting it wrong…

Thanks!

Why post Reaper questions here? :imp:

IMHO, shows a complete lack of class. :unamused:

Sorry if I don’t appear to be classy enough! I just thought that a Cubase user who is familiar with Reaper might be just as qualified as a Reaper user who is familiar with Cubase to confirm a statement like ‘Comping works in the same way as is introduced in Cubase 6.’

Whatever works for you. Reaper is cheap enough that you could use that and Cubase as well. Skill with two good tools is better than with one.
But mixing the forums…? You might get a little skitting now and then.

Well, I don’t suppose this will be very welcome news in the sectarian world of DAWs but Reaper can do everything that I want to do and faster and better… Bye bye dongle! Bye bye paying for updated versions every year. And you can’t blame me, an awful lot of things are really annoying with Cubase…

Bye!

He’ll be back.
{‘-’}

You can (un)link channels on Cubase since i can remember, what´s so remarkable about Reaper method? You can save mixer settings.
Regarding the second issue i didn´t understand what´s your question very well but you can set tracks to follow tempo or not (musical or linear) by clicking a notation symbol on the track inspector.
Comping in C6 has been upgraded from C5, i don´t know how it compares to Reaper.
I donýt think it´s possible to use Reaper buit in Fx outside Reaper unless you use ReWire, which is broken in x64.

Hey shorty - I meant have channels behave as if they are grouped without resorting to linking and then unlinking them when you’re done. In Cubase you can’t just focus a few channels and have them exhibit grouped behaviour. But, anyway, that’s just one thing. I’m now two songs into producing the fourth LP for my band, I produced the second and third with Cubase, and I am just finding Reaper so much quicker to use. But I definitely won’t be back, as curteye predicts, I am really, genuinely impressed with how pleasant it is here on the other side. It feels like discovering Firefox after using IE…

http://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/

Thanks, that´s great news. Something that ad extra value to Reaper. I hope other developers to take notice.

@ ExcelsiorWonderHorse:
Whatever works, man. BTW, Opera is something worth to check out. I´m telling it after using FF for what seems a lifetime. Another thing that developers better have in their mind: Customer is always right. :mrgreen:

Fair enough. Cubase definitely has a lot but then a lot of people don’t need all those tools in the box. If Reaper’s faster then use it.
But you will find that every two years another $60 or so is needed to upgrade.
Haven’t tried it recently but I didn’t get on with it but I definitely wouldn’t knock it. Great support and relatively cheap.

Customer should feel like he’s always right … :wink:

The customer may always be right.

Doesn’t mean he is though. :mrgreen:

Not sure of the point. That applies to all music software and - assuming a company updates their software sooner than every two years - maybe more often and certainly (with major daws) for more money. Reaper’s licences are good for two whole versions.

Anyway, great product for those whom it fits… which seems to be growing daily.

Ah! About the $60 upgrades to Reaper. Most posts seem to suggest that it is very much cheaper or even free.
Just a heads up.