Can someone help clarify these differences between Elements and Pro versions?

Hi, new user here.

I was very carefully reading and trying to decided whether I should go for the Pro or Elements version.

However, I’ve decided my decision would rely on my understanding of these two differences listed on the website:

Paste into Voice (Pro Only)
Filters (Limited on Elements)

The biggest question I have is, what does “limited” mean in this case? What filters can I copy and paste from one staff to another in elements? Articulations and lyrics are the most crucial ones for me. Being able to copy and paste lyrics from one choir staff to another without having to retype them seems huge. Same with just copy and pasting articulations from one instrument to another with the same notes.

Paste into Voice I assume means what it says: you can’t copy and paste one voice’s notes into another. (But I’m assuming this doesn’t apply to copy and pasting to different staves in a choir arrangement for instance, like copying a tenor melody to the alto staff) right?

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum, @Julian_Manjarres.

The filters that are not included in Dorico Elements but which are included in Dorico Pro are:

• Filter Note Spacing Changes
  • Filter Cues
  • Filter Notes by Pitch
  • Filter All Sharp Notes
  • Filter All Flat Notes
  • Filter System and Frame Breaks
  • Filter Condensing Changes

You can filter for lyrics in Dorico Elements. Neither Dorico Elements nor Dorico Pro includes the ability to filter articulations.

I believe in the current version at the time of writing (version 4.0.10) Dorico Elements does not include the Paste Articulations feature that was added in Dorico Pro 4, but it will be included in the next maintenance update (along with Explode and Reduce).

You’re correct in your description of Paste Into Voice, and that is indeed not included in Dorico Elements.

There’s no price penalty if you start with Elements and later decide you need to upgrade to Pro, so if you think the functionality provided in Elements will suffice, there’s no risk in starting there and then upgrading later if you find you outgrow Elements’s feature set.

I’m not sure whether the Dorico 4 Trial version is out yet, but when it is, I strongly recommend you download the Dorico Pro trial and play with it. By holding down modifier keys like ALT (OPT on a Mac) you can open Dorico as Elements and compare the two versions.

1 Like

Thank you for your detailed response.

It seems I may have misunderstood what the filter feature does in Dorico. I was confusing “filters” and “Paste Special” since in Finale (which is where I come from) that’s what a filter does; it filters out certain aspects of the highlighted content, such as articulations, allowing you to copy only the articulations from the selection and then pasting them elsewhere.
This is the main feature I was concerned with. But it seems filters in Dorico have a different meaning, is that right?

Thank you for your timely responses

Filters have the same meaning as in Finale. But articulations are handled differently: In Dorico they are stored as properties of the notes, rather than objects attached to them that can easily be separately selected. However Dorico 4 has just added a built-in function to copy articulations (this includes slurs). This does appear to be a Pro-only feature. [according to the docs at the time of writing]

I see, thanks for the clarification.
Given that it was stated above that a maintenance update will bring the copy/paste articulations feature to Elements as well, alongside explode and reduce, means I think I’ll go for elements for the time being.

Thank you everyone for the help!

That doesn’t seem to work in my particular situation: I have bought (but never used) Dorico as soon as it was released (I assume that is what’s called Dorico 1?). It seems I can upgrade from that to Pro 4 for a (somewhat) reasonable price. But if I outright bought Elements 4 now (a lot cheaper, and which at the moment seems useful enough) and then decided to upgrade to Pro later, that would in the end be a lot more expensive …

That’s certainly a bit of an unusual scenario, @mikedit, and definitely not the situation that Julian is in.

I would certainly recommend you update to Dorico Pro rather than move down the product line to Dorico Elements, but I understand that the price differential is not insignificant (the update is €159, whereas Dorico Elements is €99). If you find the update price too high, one option would be to wait until (much) later in the year, when I anticipate that updates will be on sale for a limited time.