Can’t delete singular KeyCommand in Cubase 13

Either you’re not reading what I’m writing or you’re confusing this thread with another one., I’m trying to preserve the keycommands that already come in Cubase and that I CANNOT type in myself when I want to change a second one that I had added. Since Cubase 13 removes all keycommands assigned to an action, and since I can’t input the original myself afterwards because I lack the hardware, this solution does NOT work.

Sorry to repeat myself but if you clear the shortcuts by pressing the “Remove Key Command” button and then hit the “Reset Key Command” button, you’ll get the default Cubase shortcut. I’ve tried it, it works as expected.

2 Likes

You’re right, thanks a lot!

1 Like

I’m not sure you want to mark this as a solution. As far as I can tell, there are only clunky workarounds to an issue that remains.

Resetting the default key command is not a workaround.

This was the OP request. By resetting to default, we can always add a new one.

However, I do agree 100% that there are issues in shortcuts managements.

In Cubase 12 you can easily delete any single key command from an action, is this also true in 13?
I’m going by the topic title.

Also, here’s the original question:

I know. I just went into reading the whole post, and answered the request. Not a big deal.

As I’ve said, I do see too the issues in the shortcuts management in CB13, while in CB12 things work as expected. Hopefully they’ll be fixed, and it’s not just shortcuts obviously. The setFocus, Tab, Enter (while in a modal) windows are areas that need fixes as well.

1 Like

I think we can agree that there are a lot of areas in Cubase 13 that needs attention. But your solution is a workaround to a specific issue that only works if you wish to maintain the default key command, it still doesn’t let you remove a single key command binding. At least, this is how I see it.

Exactly.

You make a good point: My original post was not “solved”. So I’ll make the thread unsolved so people won’t get the wrong idea. That being said, @m.c’s idea of resetting seems to be Steinberg’s “new” way of using the KeyCommand manager in Cubase and should be considered as the “correct” way of using it for people who are wondering, even though it’s definitely a regression. Man, all this crap over something that should have damn well been left alone.

Perhaps I’m missing something, but isn’t that only valid if you wish to preserve the default key command mapping? What about a Cubase function that does not have a default mapping but instead, 2 or more custom key commands that are mapped to the same Cubase action/function?

That would indeed be problematic if the user no longer has access to the hardware/keys that were used when inputting that KeyCommand in the first place.

No you’re not, since @The_Rhythmist edited the post :slight_smile:

Nope, I can assure you that it’s not a new way. It’s a miss in the implementation. For example, if you right-click→Delete the selected shortcut-text and focus away, no changes will occur. This is a miss, and just one example as you have certainly noticed already since I saw you trying to find a solution.

Yes, @Nico5 's earlier answer covers this, but please note that this is another issue not really having anything to do with Cubase, since you’d go into the very same issue even if you were in CB12 or earlier, or a shortcut in a OS in general :slight_smile:

1 Like

I guess I lost my “solution” after VAR review :joy:

But I have to admit being genuinely curious, what the use case there is to delete a key command that I can’t type on my keyboard.

2 Likes

To be clear, the only edits I made were to clarify an idea I was saying or to fix typos.

cubic13 edited the original post to add tags, if that’s the edit you’re referring to. The only edit I made myself was in a reply, to add details about my attempt to copy/paste the shortcut, all before mlib joined the conversation.

My last edited post was my reply to you, and the edit was the system removed my quote of your post. I did not actually edit the post. So, I’d have to respectfully disagree. No edits of mine have anything to do with mlib thinking he missed something.

1 Like

Sorry about that :sweat_smile:

The point is that they are actually good commands to have on hand, and it’s better to have them ready if the ability to use a numeric keypad presets itself. Also, if I start changing presets left and right while deleting the originals, I won’t be able to keep track of which ones had numeric keypad keycommands, and all it takes is one bug for the keycommands window to start jumping to the top every time you switch profiles, which would make looking up the original keycommands a hassle.

All in all, it needlessly complicates things which are better off left alone.

:joy:

2 Likes

I perfectly got that and that’s exactly what @Nico5 suggestion allows : FYI, I tested it before confirming that it’s the true solution of your thread.

Using it, you can get rid of the key shortcuts that you no longer want, by reassigning them to a kind of ‘dummy’ command without key shortcut already assigned, this, while preserving the one you want to keep (which means WITHOUT ‘retyping’ it).

It’s now your turn to read again his suggestion correctly… :neutral_face:

1 Like

I guess that he is working on a laptop that doesn’t have a numeric pad, the codes generated by it being different than the codes generated by the numeric keys placed above the alphabetic one. I don’t see another rational reason…

In my world, the true solution is that Steinberg brings back the ability to remove single key command bindings with the same ease as you can in previous version. Everything else is a workaround.

1 Like