Can’t get my free Cubasis LE3

Bought bnew evo 4 allready created Steinberg acct, registered evo4 successfully and downloaded the cubasis on my iPad 9th gen with updated iOS, it doesn’t seem to detect my device, tried 2 different dongles same issue, its working on garage band… pls help newbie here thanks…

Hi @brentonf.bernardo,

Thanks for your message and a warm welcome to the Cubasis forum.

I gave your issue a short check unlocking Cubasis LE via the evo 4 (here using an iPad mini 6th Gen), as shown in the clip below.

Please make sure, Cubasis has access to your mic, as described below.

Does this help to resolve your problem?

Best,
Lars

Starting Cubasis the very first time, a popup asking your permission to use the microphone appears, which has to be accepted. If you tapped “no” by accident, please change the setting manually as follws:

• Please go to the iPad settings
  • There please go to Privacy / Microphone
  • Please make sure to enable Microphone use with Cubasis

Best,
Lars

1 Like

Thanks for the help, tried doing exactly what is shown on the video, but still no response its stuck on the screen that says I have supported external hardware. It doesn’t do anything like what is shown on the video… I’m using a dongle that supports 2.0 usb only. Does it need a 3.0 usb? Also tried it on my android phone, downloaded the app and then plug the evo 4 last. It’s not doing anything too… by the way I make sure to have an access from the microphone as well on both devices. Hope its not the unit itself that has a problem… pls I need additional help on this… thanks

The first thing that jumped out is that you have no microphone plugged in to your EVO. I also don’t see any cables. Is your EVO connecting by Bluetooth and is it showing up in iOS’ Control Center? Make sure your iPad is recognizing your EVO. Alternatively, go into Settings, Bluetooth (assuming it’s connecting wirelessly) and see if EVO appears in your list of Bluetooth devices. If so, does it show it Connected or Disconnected?

Hope that helps.

Kinda confuse here… evo 4 has a Bluetooth connectivity? I’m not aware of that if there is… doesn’t show any Bluetooth button on the device as well… and is it necessary to have my instrument connected on evo4 to recognize the microphone? Doesn’t show on the video. If its needed I haven’t tried that one… thanks for the reply appreciate it…

Hi @brentonf.bernardo,

I’d suggest to get in touch with our friends at Audient, making sure the device is properly connected to the iPad.

Please keep me updated!

Best,
Lars

Sorry for the confusion. That’s my fault. I was looking at your picture and saw no connecting wires, so without looking up EVO specs, I was asking if you were using Bluetooth to connect to your iPad. So many new devices are coming out that connect via Bluetooth, including guitar amps, that it wouldn’t surprise me if audio interfaces started using it, too.

Without any device plugged in, audio interfaces can still be recognized as Input/Output devices, however, the track probably expects a mic or some device connected, because it’s assuming you’re ready to record or input something into the track. Plus, the track will recognize how many Input channels your audio interface has and the track needs to be configured to accept Input from the channel on your interface where your mic or device is plugged in.

Sorry for all the confusion, Brent, and Welcome to Cubasis!

John

I’m curious, why are you using the dongle? Have you tried removing the dongle, restarting your iPad and going back in to Cubasis LE to see if you get further?

I think it was properly connected tried both of my dongle just to make sure, still Cubasis doesn’t recognized my evo 4… I tried using garage band and got no problem connecting , it immediately recognized evo4, I was kinda hopeless at this point. I tried everything but it seems I can’t get. My free Cubasis. I’m purchasing another usb power hub this time it’s 3.0, if it still doesn’t work… I’ll just forget about it. Tried connecting my guitar too while activating Cubasis still not working… was about to purchase Cubasis from the App Store but I stopped because i should be getting mine for free and it should come with the device for free… kinda dissappointed with Audient seriously!

Mine is iPad9 with lightning port that’s why I need a dongle camera adaptor… I tried connecting evo 4 to the camera adapter but it can’t power up the device… that’s why I need a usb power hub too… what iPad are you using.?

We’re using a similar setup. Are you using a genuine Apple Camera Connector Kit?

I’m using an iPad Air 3 w/256 Gb, running iOS 16.4.1 with the Apple Camera Connector Kit ($39) with both Lightning and USB Type A inputs. I have a Sabrent 7-port Powered Hub connected to the Camera kit with my USB devices plugged into the hub. The hub has On/Off push buttons, which are a real time and cable saver.

My Apple iPad charger remains plugged into the Camera Connector Kit at all times. Only on the go when I’m not using the hub, do I use my iPad without the charger plugged in.

My Yamaha P-125 has it’s L/R 1/4” Line out connected to a Passive Mackie DI box, which is connected to my audio interface. That’s to protect the keyboard circuitry from power from the audio interface, especially when 48V Phantom power is turned on. Most keyboard players use a DI box for that reason. It’s recommended.

The LE unlock requirement frustrated me, too. Lars assured me that Cubasis is fully USB compliant. That was good enough for me. I purchased Cubasis and it’s working great! I like it better than the Studio One Professional I used to use on a MacBook. The interface is well thought out to get the job done quickly and easily. I’ve been on Cubasis less than 24 hours and I’m already creating songs with it.

Don’t let the LE unlock deter you. I’m not 100% positive on this, but I believe that if you buy it through the Apple App Store, I think you can reverse the purchase if you’re not happy. I’ve never had to do that. Apple Support could verify whether that’s correct or not.

Hi @brentonf.bernardo,

Please check if Audience’s setup tutorial resolves your current issue:

EVO by Audient | How to set up EVO 4 with an iOS Device

Important: Please make sure that iOS mic access is granted to Cubasis LE, via following the steps below.

Please let me know if this helps to resolve your current issues!
If the problem persists, please get in touch with our friends at Audient.

Best,
Lars

iOS Mic Access

Starting Cubasis the very first time, a popup asking your permission to use the microphone appears, which has to be accepted. If you tapped “no” by accident, please change the setting manually as follws:

• Please go to the iPad settings
  • There please go to Privacy / Microphone
  • Please make sure to enable Microphone use with Cubasis

I am using a iPad Air 4, 256Gb. I purchased the usb-c hub (see photo below) from Amazon a couple of years ago. Apple recognises it the moment it is plugged in and I have never had any problems with it…….for half the cost of a genuine Apple camera adapter.
Just thought I would pass this on :wink:

1 Like

Already tried all of these… just wondering if my camera adaptor or my usb power hub has an issue how come garage band recognizes it and cubasis is not? Definitely not the evo4 that’s has a problem. Also my iOS is up to date…

So you purchased the full version? Instead of the free that comes with evo4? Do you have the same issue as mine before purchasing the full version?

Yes, without a device on the LE Unlocking list, I was only going to have 30 minutes to demo it. So, I stopped and came here for help. Lars assured me that Cubasis is fully USB compliant, so I took the plunge and purchased Cubasis. It’s working great for me!

One you get in the full version, I’m confident you’ll be able to resolve whatever issue you’re currently having with LE. Or, you may find that you have no issue in the full version, once you get it configured. I stumbled through some of the interface setup issues on my own and figured it out. Oh, the Tutorial did point me to the Input, which is configured in each track. Your device Output is configured through Setup in Cubasis.

I’m really impressed with how easy Cubasis is to learn and use. It’s fantastic to have a tool this good on the iPad! Having previous DAW experience definitely helps me, for sure.

Lars has been super with everyone’s questions on here. I’m also a somewhat new Dorico user and I’ve been very impressed with Steinberg’s commitment to Customer Support. They have a guy like Lars in the Dorico for iPad forum, too. Steinberg’s software and support has won me over. I think you’ll be very happy with Cubasis.

Hope that helps, Brent!

Hi @brentonf.bernardo,

I’ve shared the topic with our friends at Audient.

Please note that @Johne1 did not own a bundled Cubasis LE 3 device (to unlock the app from demo mode), so that’s a difference case.

I will make sure to keep you updated once hearing back from our friends @ Audient.

Please also check my private message to further exchange about the topic.

Best,
Lars

Hi Lars sorry for the late update since it’s just earlier that my power usb hub has arrived… and yes its the 1st power hub that has an issue I think it was not able to draw much power from it since its just using a 5v adaptor and 2.0 usb and the new one has 12v, 3.0 usb and to my surprise …YES it’s working with my guitar and evo connected to my iPad, So happy that it’s not the evo4 that has an issue… thanks Lars for all the help. I appreciate it. And to all who gave their insights to my post… thank you guys…

2 Likes

Hi @brentonf.bernardo , glad you figured out your issue. When this happened to you, did you also have a condenser mic or some other device plugged in that required 48V phantom power or a lot of power?

I had a similar powered hub issue with a 5V powered hub. I got a new AKG condenser mic, which requires 48V phantom power and it would barely work.

I suspected a power issue right away and purchased a 7-port powered hub because it’s powered from a 12V AC adaptor. Bingo! The microphone sprang to life and works like it should now.

To get the bottom of the issue, I got out my multimeter. I was surprised to find that BOTH the 5V and 12V powered hubs were delivering the exact same voltage to the mic cable. That only left current as the suspect problem. An inspection of the power supplies that came with each hub revealed the following:
the 5V powered hub came with a 0.5A AC adaptor,
the 12V powered hub came with a 3.0A AC adaptor.
Big difference in available amperage under load.
My conclusion: it was a current problem, not a voltage problem!

In my case, my audio interface, page turner and other light power requirement USB devices were all working fine for 2 years connected to a 4-port 5V powered hub. It wasn’t until I got a condenser microphone, which required phantom power, did I experience a power issue. I suspect your problem was also caused by an insufficient amperage available from the 5V powered hub’s AC wall adaptor.

Thought I’d share this info for anyone else using powered hubs and experiencing issues. It’s shocking to me that any 5V powered hub would come with a power supply with less than, at least, 1.5A, 2A being a better minimum.

Live and learn,
John