Can we talk about how annoying Absolute is?

There’s been a couple recent discussion in various parts of the forums about this.

Looking at the deal right now, it’s very enticing to get Absolute… Just getting Halion and Backbone at that price seems like a good deal… But, the way Absolute and the product line is handled is sort of a turn off.

First of all, there’s no accumulative discount for what you already own. Most companies have accumulative deals - even during sales, ie sale + accumulative discount… Eventide, Cable Guys, Arturia, etc, etc.

So, as it is, If you already have Halion and Groove Agent, you can only cross grade from one of them - not both. Meaning, you will have an extra license. Why make the user have to work to sell the extra license to get a bit of money back?

On that, Cubase/Nuendo users should get an extra little something deal even if small since, we already paid for Retrologue and Padshop in our Cubase copy. Again, extra licenses we would have to put time into selling. _ edit_ come to think of it, there is no way to sell those licenses since they are embedded with Cubase on one side, and embedded with Absolute on the other side.

2a.
Absolute is considered its own product and thus, has its own license. This means, all the products that come with Absolute are bound/imprisoned to that Absolute license. As I understand it, If you buy Absolute today, and Halion 7 is released tomorrow… You are stuck with Halion 6… Until a new Absolute comes out, in which you then have to pay for an Absolute upgrade, just to upgrade your Halion 6 to Halion 7.

2b.
Absolute, and the individual products of which Absolute consists… are all on their own release schedules and no one knows what to expect. Is Halion 7 coming out this year? Next year? 2024? Backbone is 1.5 - is there going to be a 2? When’s the next Absolute? Should I get Absolute now but not activate it? Should I just wait for each individual products 50% off sale instead of being trapped in Absolute land?

How is Absolute going to be updated? There’s a lot of old stuff in it… Should my expectations for the next Absolute be higher? It’s currently not that Absolute, there’s a lot missing. The Yamaha VCM/Portico, sound add-ons.

Sort of feel like my emotions are being rag dolled here on this product line… for like… 5+ years. There’s been so many times I’ve almost pulled the trigger on Halion, Backbone, and on Absolute… but I always just find my self hesitating and then not giving Steinberg my money with these products (I did get GA5 and I’m totally glad I did, fantastic instrument)… and I know I’m not the only one.

Absolute Crossgrade from Halion AND Groove Agent? - Steinberg Lounge - Steinberg Forums

Is HALion 7 just a myth? - Virtual instruments / HALion - Steinberg Forums

I don’t know what the solution is, I think the new licensing system is an opportunity to change all this… Couple solutions, I haven’t thought them through but here they are tell me what you think.

Two options:
1.) Do it like everyone else does it, buying Absolute = individual licenses for all products + grace period for individual products.

Contemplating the idea of “update insurance” paid extended grace period but looking at how long Halion update has taken (and I’m not complaining, take your time, get it right) that wouldn’t really make sense.

2.a) Absolute Subscription, you get all updates immediately
2.b) Non-Subscription Full upfront pay alternative, people get 1 year free updates.

Yeah I don’t know, but definitely feel like something needs to change and I’m actually fairly eager to give Steinberg my money. Been a Cubase user from SX3, been using GA for a few years, have Spectralayers, have the Portico plugs… I’m planning on getting Wavelab Pro, Dorico Pro, Cubasis, Backbone, will eventually crossgrade Cubase to Nuendo… I want to give Steinberg my money, I’m a supporter - but - when it comes to Halion/Absolute… It has just been a 5+ year stalemate.

Not sure if Steinberg reads the Lounge but I see Ed at the top so I will tag them @Ed_Doll

Thanks for listening, and if someone from Steinberg can assure me this will change/improve, I’ll pull the trigger on Absolute this week. It shouldn’t feel like a trap.