Canadian Internet Metering and your music

After reading that stuff I have come to two conclussions.

1. This isn’t about caps, it’s about metering (very, very different issue). They throw the term cap in every now and again, but that doesn’t have anything to do with it. They want to meter the small guys instead of selling blocks. Which is a total screw job.

2. Both sides are full of crap. The arguments on both sides are just FUD that hide the underlying financial reasoning and legal impact from view. Cuz, that could get uncomfortable for both sides if that got too visible.

At least that’s how I read it.

We as consumers here did not want to have a by-the-byte meter applied to our surfing, which was one part of this whole debacle. The caps are already there for monthly consumption at the consumer level, that for me is a non issue, but the metering concept is total cr@p.

Our vote-sucking prime minister has grabbed the spotlight by standing out on this issue (all his opponents alread had), but as Delicieuxz stated earlier, he would sell us up the river at the drop of a hat. But that’s a whole other thread which would not be appropriate here. So this move today has effectively reversed the damage, at least for now.

So Canadians can continue to enjoy digital entertainment via the Internet without ridiculous “blood-letting” type charges being applied… which means we Canuck musicians can continue to use the net as a means to reach our potential customers without this burden being placed on them.

looks like the battle is on, just got this message

"In light of the CRTC’s recent announcement to review their decision and delay the implementation of Usage Based Billing, Primus will not implement usage caps on our Internet service at this time, pending final direction from the CRTC. In the meantime, Primus is pleased to continue to offer unlimited Internet services to all of our customers.

For customers who purchased and were billed for additional usage plans, credits will be issued. If you have not yet been billed, we will remove the plans from your account."

:laughing: