Cannot backup project - ” Error during file copy!…”

Anyone experienced this error when attempting back-up in Cubase 11 Pro? … [Cannot backup project - ” Error during file copy!..”] … I have checked the media pool and the audio file paths are the same? It only happens on one specific project, all other projects are fine when backing up?
Thanks.

Hi,

Make sure, you have write permission to the folder (and all parent folders), where you want write the backup file, please.

Thanks Martin ill try that now and get back!

Yea checked the permissions on the parent and sub folders which show write enabled?

Hi,

What folder is it? Could you try to create a new folder as an subfolder of your current project folder and save the backup into this folder, please?

Thanks Martin, I try this and update

Hi Martin, Yea creating another folder outside the problem folder worked, I have now successfully backed up my project, duno maybe the permissions were corrupted on the original back up folder?.
Many thanks for your help.

1 Like

same backuping at another folder location worked. thx.

By sheer trial and error, we’ve found that typically if there are files in your pool with very long names, Cubase just can’t handle it and it creates problems with backing up the pool.

Additionally, large filenames also make it difficult for us to import one-shot sound effects. We’ve not been able to figure out why.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing that!

This just happened to me and shortening the names solved the problem.

Hi,

Are you talking about long file names or long paths to the file (including the name), please? Could you please provide an example of a non-functional file name/path?

Names. I’ll have to do some digging to get back to the old names but I’ll post it later. I think i know what the source was.

1 Like

Hi,

Thank you. Could you please also add information if you are on Mac or Windows and how is your hard drive formatted?

Windows 11. Source file name:

90 Horse Gallop By_ Two Separate, Single Horses Gallop By From, Left To Right, With Hoofbeats And Bridle Movement. First By Is More, Clickety As If On Hard Surface. Second By Sounds Like It Could Be.aif.new.01_Stereo-01

As you can see it’s a bit… long… I’m thinking this sound likely came from either the editor or I pulled it in last minute from Soundly. I have to make a mental note to check its naming procedure.

Target drive: NTFS SSD. The thing is that it’s sitting in a Sabrent drive dock that takes SATA drives (SSD and HD) and is currently connected via USB 3.x. So it could be that something goes wrong when trying to send that over to the drive while it’s in the dock. The other drive that has had this file is also formatted as NTFS (m.2 2TB nvme (4.0)).