Cannot create a volume curve

Another n00b-question here. I’m trying to adjust the volume of part of an audio track, and found an article called " Creating Event-Based Volume Changes" that tells me to just use the draw tool, but I can’t get that to work? If i click with the draw tool it just selects part of the clip. If I select the whole clip with the object selection-cursor I get a waveform but when I click that it just says “Please zoom to a resolution lower than 1!”, no matter how much I zoom. Lower that 1 what?

What am I doing wrong? I hope this isn’t another one of the features that I can’t get with the AI-version, I find it quite essential to be able to adjust the volume… All help is much appreciated.

It works here, @Henk3000. For a demonstration look up Dom Sigalas Smooth Vocal tips (maybe “Five Smooth Vocal Tips”), he shows how to do exactly that.

Thanks, but it doesn’t work. It’s exactly what I’m aiming for, but it simply doesn’t look like in that video for me, I don’t get that blue curve at all. When I click it just selects a chunk of my audio clip, but no curves.

Maybe a limitation of AI ?

Cubase AI supports adjusting the volume or fades of each Audio Event (clip), by using the handles when you mouse over them.

The square in the middle allows you to adjust the Audio Event’s overall volume.

For advanced volume curves using the draw tool (like you described), you’ll need Cubase Artist or higher. In Cubase AI, you should apply an Envelope to your event using Direct Offline Processing (F7), or use volume automation for that.

Draw tool.

But first you have to click on the event with the selection tool (arrow) to make it black, otherwise there’s no response to the draw tool.

Then it is kind of hard to grab that top edge with the Draw tool, but it can be done.

At least that’s how it is on my system.

It seems like this indeed is a devastating limitation of the AI version, which is what I got when I bought the sound card. I wish I knew this when I bought it, since this renders it pretty much useless for audio recording. I guess I’ll have to either buy the pro version or use Audacity instead.
Thanks for all the responses though!

*Edit: whoa, the pro version is EXPENSIVE! Audacity it is then.

What kind of audio editing are you doing, is it really something that you can’t do with automation or offline processing?

And like I said, this feature is also in Cubase Artist. There’s a small discount if you upgrade from Cubase AI.

Just normal recording of instruments, like guitar and piano. I need to be able to adjust the volume on parts of clips (and create fades between them and so on), I can’t do that with automation, can I? I just need simple volume curves, like the ones in all other audio editing software (and even video editing software). Can I do that with offline processing? How does that work?

I reckon one desperate solution would be to edit the audio clips separately with some other software and then import it back in, perhaps? I could go for Cubase Artist but that seems really risky considering the non-pro versions are restricted in such essential features… And it’s quite pricey too.

I don’t know whether AI features the “PRE” section in the mixer, but what I usually do for detailed volume editing is automating the pre gain, which is imho faster and more comfortable to do than using the cumbersome draw tool.
For general volume of larger sections I prefer event volume (I split the audio event to smaller parts if necessary), because it is really quick especially if you configure “Use Mouse Wheel for Event Volume and Fades” in the settings.
For cross fades between audio events you just select the events and hit “x”.

1 Like

Ok, thanks! Didn’t know about the cross fade-function. Then perhaps I can split it into smaller clips and crossfade between them to get a smooth transition, that should work for me. It also worked to edit the audio clip in some other program and then overwrite it, but that’s tedious to do with many clips… But the splitting and cross fading sounds better! Is it possible to adjust the lenght of the fade?

*Edit: figured it out, works perfectly. Thanks, Fese! And everyone else responding. =)