Cannot open Dorico 3.1

Is there a complete list of every file, every thread, every component of Dorico that I can remove so I can do an absolutely fresh install?

I’m pretty sure you are desperate getting Dorico going, but trust me, it has nothing to do with the Dorico installation. You could reinstall it from scratch many times, always with the same result. It’s the eLicenser software that is playing stupid on your machine. I even assume that it is a hardware issue, because we have thousands of customers without such problems.
Also, you say you have the license on a USB-eLicenser. I guess you have the newer type, about 3.5mm long, and not the older, 5mm long version, is that correct?

Please wait a little, as I said, I raised the issue again here at Steinberg, maybe we find someone who can help you.

In the meantime I will try sending you a time-limited activation code that you can try adding to the Soft-eLicenser on your system so you can take the USB-eLicenser out of the equation for the time being, but there is absolutely no guarantee that this will change anything, unfortunately. However, it’s worth a try.

I have provided a different eLC installer via private message. Maybe this helps addressing the issue.

Actually, I believe I have the older version … I’ll order a new one immediately. I have a ton of Vienna Symphony libraries on this key as well. Will the newer one support this as well? Last question, can I buy these on Amazon or Guitar Center or do they have to come direct from Steinberg? Thanks!

You can easily move all of the licenses from your old USB-eLicenser to the new one in eLicenser Control Center. All of your licenses will work on the new USB-eLicenser. You can indeed buy one from any supplier, so find the supplier with the best price and shipping.

Yes, the newer ones also supports Vienna, and it doesn’t matter where you buy, as long as it is the newer, shorter type.

Hi Ulf - You asked me if I had the newer version of the key. I had two keys connected to this computer. One had all of the licenses on it and the other had none. It was the older key that had all the licenses on it so I transferred them all to the new key. It worked!!! Dorico is now open!!! Of course my Halion Sonic SE3 is no longer working because I trashed the audio files for that. Is there an easy way to reinstall those files? I have no idea why I had never transferred these files to the newer key.
Should I trash the old eLicenser USB key and buy another?
Thank you! I’m assuming that this will continue to work. It’s bee a tough three days but you’ve been great.

Oh, that’s fantastic to hear.
You can easily reinstall the sounds, just download the Dorico Sound Content package again via the Steinberg Download Manager.
Then double click and run. The installer might complain that it is already installed, but there is the option to reinstall, just choose that and it will do.

Regarding the USB-eLicenser, since you already have a newer one, there is no need to buy a second one. One dongle can hold plenty of licenses, I don’t even know the limit, it is so huge. And you can also have Steinberg and Vienna licenses (or others) on one dongle, no problem.

Hi,
I have a similar problem here with Win10 Dorico SE. Dorico refuses to start and hangs with the splash screen with the message:
Audio engine connected. Tried to reinstall -didint work Cubase pro 10.5 works well

Hi Docewil, but you don’t have error message from the eLicenser, right? Then I presume you have a different problem.
Since you can’t get Dorico to run, you also can’t let the diagnostics file be generated.
Therefore please zip up the following two folders and attach here:
C:\Users<yourname>\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Dorico 3
C:\Users<yourname>\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\VSTAudioEngine3_64

Also, have a look at C:\Users<username>\Documents\Steinberg\CrashDumps, if you find in there crash dumps from Dorico or the VSTAudioEngine, please also zip up and attach here.
Thanks

The USB-eLicensers are all compatible to each other. It is very likely that all USB-eLicensers shipped by Amazon or GC are the latest revision already.

And I am glad that the modified eLC installation helped to address the issue.

Thx for offering help!
here are the diagnistic files. I didn’t find any Dorico or Vstengine related crash dumps

Greets
Wilhelm
Steinberg_docewil.zip (1.47 MB)

Hi Wilhelm,

I can see from the log files that the audio engine stops just after it’s listed all your audio devices. It’s not obvious whether it has crashed or whether it’s hanging (ie it’s still running but is unresponsive). Could you try following the instruments under ‘Dorico is crashing, what do I do?’ on this page: Frequently Asked Questions: new users start here - Dorico - Steinberg Forums as crash dumps aren’t created by default. If you run that registry script and then try running Dorico again, see if that produces a crashdump. If it doesn’t then open the Task Manager and see if the VSTAudioEngine3 process is still running, and that will give us some clues.

Hallo Wilhelm, looks pretty strange and I wonder that no crash dumps are around.
Actually, what does happen if you first launch the audio engine (double click on C:/Program Files/Steinberg/Dorico3/VSTAudioEngine/VSTAudioEngine3.exe)
A splash screen should appear for a few seconds and disappear. Then please open the TaskManager and look for a background task called VSTAudioEngine3.
Can you find it and if yes, how much processing power does it draw in average?
When the numbers stabilize, double click on the Dorico3 icon, that shall launch Dorico and Dorico would under those circumstances connect to the already running audio engine.
Does Dorico launch properly under that condition?
If not, kill Dorico and the VSTAudioEngine and post fresh zips of the mentioned folders. Thanks

The generic low latency ASIO driver takes aeons to be scanned

CPU ca. 0.2 -1%

after dorico restarts the same scanning process starts and Audio engine connect time out occurs
Steinberg_docewil2.zip (1.42 MB)

Thanks for the data. I’ve noticed something, but don’t know what to suggest next. Have to think about. Will come back soon…

Thanks for everyone’s help! DORICO and the team rocks!

:slight_smile: You are more than welcome. And please spread the word.

Now back to Wilhelm. The log reflects what you say, namely that it takes ages to start the audio engine. Around 7 minutes, I’ve never seen such a long startup time and no wonder that Dorico times out, because we never expected such a long delay.
The interesting part, the log shows busy activity for some time, but there are 2 gaps, one of about 1 minute and one of about 5 minutes. That means for those gaps the log does not contain any activity, so the audio engine itself must have waited for something. The odd thing is, I don’t know for what it is waiting, there is no hint.

First I suggest you disconnect all your plenty audio interfaces or gear that also acts as one. I mean Guitar Rig and Maschine and the like. Disconnect all of them and start again the audio engine just by itself. Still such long start up?

One other possibility I can think of, is there maybe some alert window that is hidden behind the splash screen? While starting the audio engine, have a look at the taskbar, does the audio engine icon change it’s appearance in a way that suggests it has multiple windows (other than the splash screen) open?

And again, please post new audio engine logs. Thank you.

You see, this is all tedious and time consuming, but in the end I’m sure we will be able to get you up and running. Trust me.