Cannot select the start position for step input.

Hello,

When I try to select the place where I want the step input to start, the step input gets suspended.

This is very weird. I have not seen such behavior in C10.5, and when I just tested it again – was working fine.

In C11 I just can’t get the step input start place to get anywhere…

Do I not know something?

UPDATE: I have found that the feature works ONLY within 6 first bars of the piece. Start/end of the MIDI region being edited does not matter. If the start for the Step Input is chosen after 6 first bars – it gets suspended…

It works as intended in C10.5 Artist…

I’m having very similar problems.
Still searching for a solution. See my earlier post

Did anyone from the Cubase technical team attend to this?

I am having similar issues with Cubase 11 Pro. Step input gets suspended randomly and can’t select the start position from the beginning after deleting the notes it records the input where ended recording or it doesn’t record the input at all as the input gets suspended.

I can’t replicate this in Cubase Pro 12. I also tried mixing mouse and MIDI controller note inputs like you did in your recording.

Are you using the last version of Cubase 11 (11.0.41)?

Yes, I am using v11.0.41. I have tried this in Cubase 12 LE is it works fine. Also, I am wondering does Cubase record pitch bend in step input mode as this doesn’t seem to work on both Cubase 11 and 12?

Any idea what causes this issue in Cubase 11? I have tried to restart and use an empty template and the issue is still there.

This seems to be some kind of window focus issue. Cubase 12 has greatly improved UI responsiveness, and the window focus probably had to be tightened up in order to better support the revamped MIDI Remote features, which might have gotten rid this issue indirectly. I don’t see anything related to Step Input in recent patch notes.

Step Input can only record MIDI notes. To record MIDI CCs and Pitchbend, you can enable “MIDI Input” and then enable “Note Expression MIDI Input”. You’ll then be able to select existing notes and “print” Note Expression data into them by moving a controller such as the pitchbend lever on your MIDI keyboard.

Select MIDI > Note Expression > Dissolve Note Expression to covert this to regular MIDI data.

Is any upgrade discount coming for Cubase? There was no discount during the summer sale.