Can't create flow with just one bar of 1/8

I am trying to create a flow with just one bar of 1/8 in it for a musical example. For some reason, I get two bars when I change to 1/8 from one bar of 4/4 or 3/4 etc. and the second bar cannot be deleted. I get 4 bars of 1/16 time if I change from one bar of 4/4 or 3/4 etc. and the second-fourth bars cannot be deleted. It’s as if there is some kind of lower limit of one 1/4 note per flow.

Try Write > Trim Flow. It’s way at the bottom so you may have to scroll.

1 Like

Thanks, @Craig_F . That did it.

But why was that necessary?

A fresh flow starts with a duration of one quarter.

2 Likes

I’m not really sure what’s happening. I couldn’t even delete an 8th note duration to make the Flow one 8th long.

If one doesn’t need to show the time signature, one could also make the time signature unmeasured and hide the X

You can’t delete rests because they’re not “real”. You can only trim the length, either with the Trim command or the bars popover.

You can delete beats whether notes or rests. -1e in the Bars popover will delete an 8th beat. But it doesn’t work when the Flow is empty with just the initial quarter.

Ah … So 1-quarter is not just the default, it’s an enforced minimum length if there are no notes in. (Once again I should have tried it out before commenting.)

Thank you all for confirming what I had concluded. In any case, the fix is easy enough.