Can't Cubase/Nuendo fully adapt to the Win key like Protools?

Can’t Cubase/Nuendo fully adapt to the Win key like Protools ??? The current Win shortcut keys for Cubase/nundo conflict with the system, and many operations cannot be implemented,Also, can you add shortcut commands for mouse scroll wheel modification? For example, how can I change the volume of audio to Shift+Win+mouse scroll wheel?

Hi and welcome to our forum!

Sorry to hear about your struggle with Cubase. May I ask you what Win shortcut keys you are referring to? I am not aware of any combination with the Win key that would not work along Cubase.

Cheers,
Armand

It’s the Windows key, the key between Ctrl and Alt, and pressing it once will call the system window. For example, Win+R, Win+I, which are not effective in Protools (they will not go to the system’s own shortcut keys). If the system itself occupies the shortcut key, it cannot be called in the Daw

Just curious, but why would you want this when you can just use the wheel anyway?

1 Like

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. Which concrete combination are conflicting with Cubase for instance? Is this something you set in the Key Commands preferences? I am just not aware that Cubase’s factory presets comes with key commands relying on the Windows key.

Cheers,
Armand

1 Like

From what I understand the OP requests the Win key to be consumed while Cubase is in focus.

Now, not sure what proTools does, but as far as I know, intercepting such keys (Win) is not considered optimal practice. At the end of the day, we users can always deactivate shortcuts, as shown here: https://www.makeuseof.com/windows-10-disable-keyboard-shortcuts/

2 Likes

We are not able to reproduce this here. Is anybody aware of any way we can reproduce this?

Cheers,
Armand

Hi, what do you want to reproduce, sorry, I don’t quite understand.

Tbh I don’t quite understand what the expectations are so I talked to a colleague of mine in the meantime. I guess since I’m no PT users it’s hard for me fathom.

So this is what I’m understanding so far: PT does intercept the windows key whereas Cubase does not. So the expectation would be that Cubase behaves similarly. If yes, my first intuitive answer would be that this is not considered common practice from the POV of Microsoft but I could spend time investigating on confirming (or not) this intuition.

Cheers,
Armand

1 Like

That’s correct. Cubase doesn’t consume the Win button and actually this is the norm for the majority of windows apps out there.

2 Likes

Let me explain why:

1. What are the advantages of Protools intercepting the Windows key?
    Intercepting the Windows key allows for the release of a key combination on the left hand side, which can be used in conjunction with other shortcuts. For example, the shortcut for adjusting the volume of an audio block in Protools is Windows+Shift+mouse scroll wheel. What is the benefit of doing this? In Nuendo, the volume can be directly adjusted with the mouse scroll wheel. Sometimes, when I want to scroll down the screen to find other tracks using the scroll wheel, if my mouse is on the audio block, the scroll down functionality will not work as intended and instead lower the volume of the audio block. This conflicts with the intended action of scrolling the view. If I want to zoom in on an audio block and there are many blocks on the screen, I have to find an empty space without audio blocks to perform the scroll wheel action for zooming. In a large project, finding empty spaces can be difficult, resulting in many accidental actions. By blocking the Windows key, Protools allows for the integration of many host-specific and other key combinations, effectively freeing up a commonly used left-hand shortcut.

As for the Windows system shortcuts, I only need to move my mouse to the taskbar and click once to access the functionalities of the Windows system itself, effectively freeing up this key combination.
In summary, Protools makes excellent use of the Windows key development. In my experience, the basic operations of Nuendo are far inferior to Protools, with many logical bugs that need to be addressed. While Nuendo may have more advanced features compared to Protools, its basic operations are not as smooth and many functions are hidden under preferences, making it seem cumbersome.