Can't get condensing to move from divisi a 2, to a 3, to a 4 in violin

I’m working with a sustained passage in violin II where the sustained passage moves from unison, to divisi a 2, to divisi a 3, to divisi a4 over 23 measures. I have set this up (see project attached) and when I view in Galley view it all seems to work fine. However, when I switch to Page view I only see the first divisi a 2 and the subsequent divisi’s do not appear. I have tried entering Condensing Changes at each new divisi point, but that has no effect.

test divisi a 4.dorico (373.2 KB)

To try and keep things clear, I did not tie notes into new divisi groups

Many thanks for any suggestions,
Rosanne

It works if you have system brakes.

Jesper

Thank you, Jesper, for your solution which does show the divisi properly. However, using system breaks really skews the look of the score as now there is a page of just 2 measures followed by a page of several measures.

What makes this solution not work for me is that I have other string groups, violas, for instance, that are also sustaining through divisi a2 to a4 but they are changing notes at different times, not in sync with the Violin II’s of this example.

Yes, I know, sorry. Don’t know if there’s a better way.
I hope the condensing experts will chime in soon.
Jesper

This is slightly better.

Jesper

test divisi a 4.dorico (534.3 KB)

The divisi change in effect at the start of a system determines the number of staves that can be shown. “In effect” can come from either the first explicit divisi change signpost in that system, or from a prevailing divisi change that started on an earlier system and is still in force.

Galley view shows you all staves, always, but page view can only show one divisi “set” per system, with changes to the number of staves required for a player only applying at the start of new systems.

Thank you, Lille. So I think you’re saying I should just create a divisi a4 right from the beginning even though the music begins to divide as a2. I tried this (attached) by filling out the four parts and while yes, it does now condense and show all 4 notes of the divisi, where I filled out the parts, it is duplicating notes. It’s easier to see the attached file than my explanation.
I appreciate the help.
test divisi a 4 - #2.dorico (520.5 KB)

Not necessarily! I was simply clarifying what’s going on inside Dorico, with regards to why staves added in a new divisi change might not appear straight away.

Here is my attempt to achieve the condensing I think you want:
test divisi a 4 - #2 - Altered.dorico (572.4 KB)

If you look at the screen shot in post #7, you will see there is a tie out of measure 8 but no tie into measure 9. To prevent this from happening, I moved the four-way divisi to the very beginning along with a condensing change to cause all four sections to share a condensed voice. The first two div. player labels are hidden because there is only one note. The div a n labels are staff text with paragraph style Player Labels.

Yes, this is what I’m trying to accomplish. Many thanks, John. I went back and entered the whole passage without any condensing using manual staff text to label the divisi - but I’ll now try your solution as it makes the parts work out much better.
Thanks again.

The project I previously attached did not consider that you might want all four violin sections to play when there are fewer than four distinct pitches. Here is the revised project:
test divisi a 4 - #2 - Revised.dorico (681.2 KB)

Once the four sections are filled out, there are duplicated notes in the full score as you already noticed. By clicking on a duplicate notehead in engrave mode and setting the custom scale to 1%, the tie chain containing that notehead disappears. To avoid having a split stem in measure 19, a condensing change was added in measure 18 which causes the duplicate note to have a different voice from the other sections. All four sections resume sharing a voice in measure 20.

In the violin part, you might not want to show all four staves before the system containing measure 20. Manual staff visibility allows the redundant staves to be hidden in the part:

Thanks so much, John. I very much appreciate your help with this. This is how I will set it up.