'Can't get core function pointer' Dorico 4 won't load

Having migrated to a MacMini M1 and Ventura I am finding that I can’t launch Dorico 4. While starting up I am presented with the message: ‘Can’t get core function pointer’. I close Dorico but this message keeps returning until I restart the computer. I am seeing online that this same issue is affecting people in different contexts and different programs. I have installed Nuendo 12 on the same machine and this loads and functions without any problem. Any help on this would be mightily appreciated, since I can’t work until it’s fixed. Thanks!

I believe this problem is caused by one of the plug-ins you have installed on your system. Can you please try going in the Finder to /Library/Audio/Plug-ins/VST3, and temporarily moving all of the contained files out of the way, then run Dorico. If Dorico runs with no problems, put half of the plug-ins back and see whether Dorico still runs: if it does, move those plug-ins out of the way again, and put the other half back. If Dorico now fails to run, move half of those plug-ins out of the way, and so on. In this way you should fairly soon be able to determine which plug-in is causing the problem.

It’s also possible that it could be a file in the /Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Components folder, so if you find that moving all of the VST3 files out of the way doesn’t change anything, repeat the same procedure with the files in the Components folder.

Hi Daniel, thanks very much for your quick response. It seems like a whole host of plugins can cause this error with Dorico 4. I can now successfully launch Dorico once the following VST3 plugins have been disabled: all my iZotope plugins; Nembrini Audio Acoustic Voice; UVI workstation. I’ll check to see if there are more recent updates to these plugins. I’m not using AU plugins, so there’s nothing in the Components folder.

This is certainly not a problem that’s specific to Dorico: if you Google for this error message, you’ll see all manner of applications (including Apple’s own Logic) that are affected by the problem. I’m not sure what the cause is, but hopefully Apple will address it in a future macOS update. I’m glad you’re back up and running in the meantime.

Thank you Daniel, and yes this is an across-the-board issue which Apple needs to address. Meanwhile I want to take this opportunity to thank you again for responding personally to so many queries like mine. Dorico is a completely outstanding program on its own merits; but what makes it truly remarkable is the care which you and the Dorico team put into looking after its users. In an increasingly automated and impersonal world this is the exception. Thank you and may 2023 bring you much fulfilment both professionally and personally!

5 Likes