cant get MIDI to record in Cubase 6

following my usual recording protocol, but something is funny with midi (using a korgx50 and native instruments plugins) …it doesnt seem to be registering thru interface (saffire pro40) tho nothing is unusual or off in the connections im used to having in place…
furthermore im able to open a new instrument track, but the track disappears as soon as i hit stop. this seems to be a separate issue from the midi, as it occurs when i interact directly with the plugin using mouse etc and not engaging the midi/keyboard

Do you see any midi-in activity on the midi-monitor on the transport bar, when pressing a key on your keyboard? If you don’t see the little midi-in activity monitor make a right click on the tronsport bar an switch on “midi-activity”.

furthermore im able to open a new instrument track, but the track disappears as soon as i hit stop. this seems to be a separate issue from the midi, as it occurs when i interact directly with the plugin using mouse etc and not engaging the midi/keyboard

Do you mean that the events (not the track) disappear when you stop recording? This is normal if no midi signal was received. I suggest to check your midi interface and cable. Also check your midi input settings in the cubase device configuration. Are they active in “all midi inputs”?

thanks in advance for the continued help!
i went through the steps you suggested, everything seems copacetic, still same issue…
thing about the midi tracks disappearing is thats happening even when i manually hit the virtual keys or pads etc-- disappears as soon as i hit stop… could there be something up with how cubase is interacting with native instruments?