Can't hear sound in other applications, Windows on a Mac

Hello! I’m very new to Cubase Elements 9. It was recommended to me for a long time by a friend and since I wanted to upgrade from Apple’s Garageband, I took the plunge and here I am! I’m very satisfied with what Cubase has to offer, and I’m sure I’ve only scratched the surface in its capabilities. However, I have had one problem.

I cannot audio from chrome or any application other than Cubase (when its running of course). I’d really like to stream my music production (via twitch or youtube) and listen to music or other resources while using Cubase, however, I am not able to do so…

I’ve looked up this problem and have heard people say things like “oh your crappy pc can’t handle cubase’s power, you need to get a mac or an external soundcard thingy” but I AM using Mac, but I’m running windows on it. None of the hardware is different, so why doesn’t this feature work?

Things I’ve tried:

• clicking the “release driver” box → This works, but I have to restart chrome EVERYTIME I want to use it, and close chrome again when I switch back to Cubase in order to get the ASIO4ALL driver to recognize that my headphones aren’t being used by chrome anymore. Also, this doesn’t let me stream my audio since it stops the Cubase audio whenever I switch applications

• Unchecking the “Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device” box in the playback settings on both my headphones and digital audio (circus logic cs4208 (ab 94).

• using the “generic low latency ASIO driver” → When I have the settings above checked, the outputs disappear

I am using a late 2013 mac pro with 8gb ram and an Intel I7, running windows 10 home

I attached pictures of my settings in order to give a more clear explanation.

If any additional information is needed please let me know,

Thank you for your time :slight_smile:
-DB

How are you running Windows on your Mac? Is it some sort of dualboot or are you running inside a virtualized environment like virtualbox? I am asking because there could be a driver issue going on, not sure if drivers for Mac hardware are available for Windows, if you are running Windows through a virtualized environment that could probably be the issue, drivers inside a virtual machine are never going to work as well as drivers in a physical installation. I think this could be what is causing you problems. I have used cubase on both Mac and Windows and releasing the audio driver works as expected