can't I just make sheet music?

Flows, Projects, all that stuff is in my way. Can I bypass all that? I don’t even want to see it on my screen.
I just want to make sheet music to play. I want it to have a title, composer, and subtitle, footer with date and filename, not even a copyright. I don’t play music that is protected by copyright any more. I do Bach and maybe one or two of my old compositions. I don’t even want to hear those any more. I’m content to live out my days learning and playing every lute and violin piece I can by Bach.
I have used Finale and Sibelius for the last 25 years. I’m not new to this. I am new to somebody’s ideas about highfalutin projects, appropriate i’m sure to music moguls. I’m not one, I’m just somebody who was charmed out of my sanity by the guitar fingering capabilities of Dorico. That’s all.
I’m sure Dorico is excellent in its management capabilities through Flows and all that. I’m not part of that.

Dear spencered,
As far as I know, nothing prevents you from using only one flow per project…
You could also modify your masterpages (or ask nicely here if you don’t have Dorico Pro) so that copyright stuff does not appear. Again, if you don’t have Dorico pro, you can save this project blank and start all your projects from this file (then Save as…)

I think you’ll get close to what you want by disabling flow headings and saving it as default

As you’ll know, most of Bach’s Violin and Lute works are divided into separate movements. That’s all a Flow is: a different movement. Much easier and more useful than putting each movement into a separate document, or manually adding titles and system indents at points within the document.

Project and Document are synonymous. You can’t really do without a document.

It would be a shame to deny yourself useful features that you’ve paid for, without at least investigating their benefits, rather than dismissing them as ‘high-falutin’ and ‘for music moguls’ only.

Ed, if you start your Dorico installation in SE mode (or in Elements mode) you might get exactly what you are looking for.

Forum, I do apologize for my unpleasant language. It won’t happen again.
Thank you for the help. I will explore Flows later after the bare metal nuts and bolts. (Why are they called “Flows”? Is it a reference to flowcharts?)
All your points are taken. Thank you.

It comes from the language used in DTP software, like Adobe InDesign, where there are Text Flows, Text and Graphic Frames, Master Pages, overrides, etc.

It helps if you think of the music being “poured” into the Layout. They could have called them ‘jugs’, I suppose… :confused:

They are called “flows”, because it’s a frame in which the music flows from one point (beginning) to another (end).

Since flows have more use cases than just movements (different exercises in a worksheet for example), this is probably the most generic term the team could think of. I couldn’t think of anythin better and I am sure there is a blogpost about it in depth.

EDIT: okay, maybe ben is more correct on this one :wink:

Well, you probably weren’t born with an innate ability to use Finale and Sibelius. You had to learn.

Dorico isn’t any different. But starting from the position that “Dorico is different from my previous notation program, therefore it’s designed wrong” doesn’t make learning any easier.

Four years ago, nobody here knew anything about Dorico (except for Daniel and the development team, of course) because it hadn’t been released yet. Everybody else has managed to learn, one way or another!