cant import m4a audio

Thanks for the reminder of this app, I tried it for a while when version 2 first came out and my computer felt a little more sluggish but maybe that has changed. I love the concept and flexibility of it.

I wish the world would just adopt AAC vs. MP3 already. I use iTunes to convert as well, though I rarely need to import a .m4a file. It’s just the compressed format I prefer to put my shared files on soundcloud etc in.

many times clients send me voice memos recorded on the phone like scratch vocals or some riff ideas etc, of course all in m4a format… and I have to for thru all the conversions before I can import it into Cubase

+1. I’ve had this happen several times too.

Any of the Steinberg guys care to explain why we can’t import m4a’s directly?

+1 … for years now.

Years ago when I used Wavelab religiously, it would import m4a without issue. I think it still does.

Ask the Apple guys. Seems they don’t get along with Steinberg…

Why? I was under the impression that Steinberg made Cubase, and Apples DAW is called Logic, but I may be wrong.

You can import m4a’s directly by using import audio from video function. There’s no need for conversion from external apps.

Audacity
It’s a free audio program that imports anything and exports/converts to anything. I’ve had success with Mp4 recorded from various formats. Zoom, for example, stores audio in Mp4 format and using Audacity, I’ve converted to WAV, or even FLAC. Then I’m fine with importing into Cubase. No issues, very easy, and Free.

@dhyowi I think you’re mistaking mp4 for m4a.
It imports mp4’s but not m4a’s :frowning: