Can't Import MOV or 3GP Videos in Cubase 10.5

I just installed a clean copy of Cubase 10.5.30 Build 365 onto Windows 10 2004 and I can’t import MOV videos from my Kodak Z1275 or 3GP files from my no-plan Walmart Tracfone.

Seems this has been a problem for a long time, but I’ve kind of ignored it because I usually do video/audio sync in a third party tool. There have been times, however, where I wanted to take a music centric approach and I couldn’t do that because Cubase continues to fail on all imports of the MOV and 3GP video I tried.

It fails if I try to drag the video onto the project and it fails if I try to import the video. The Open button on the Import Video dialog simply closes the window with no error whatsoever but the MOV or 3GP file is never imported. It’s frustrating when I don’t get an error message. Import Audio from video file doesn’t work either yet these video files will open in a third party video editor.

With that said, my third party video editor often has problems opening the audio of the MOV files but can open and process both audio and video for the 3GP files.

BTW: I don’t like the fact that GNU\Linux background drivers are named daemons and I wish they would fix that, but it would be nice if you could port Cubase to GNU\Linux presuming they would rename the daemons as services. I’ve been having some notable stability and usability issues in Windows 10 lately. I recently lost a lot of important data partly due to Windows 10 giving me such horrible feedback on the health of my hard drives… That isn’t the only issue with MS Windows though…

Hi,

Please read through Video support in Nuendo, Cubase, WaveLab and Dorico article.

A post was split to a new topic: Alt+Shift doesn’t create Shared copy

I guess it’s been maybe a decade and a half since I first started using Cubase and this is still an issue. I still to this day can’t import any kind of video into Cubase. This is ridiculous. If I were to guess, it might have something to do with the way Windows 7 mucked up video codecs when advancing from the rock-solid 64-Bit Windows XP. I’m on Win 10 22H2 now and I still can’t import. MKV, MOV, MP3 or anything. I’ve tried numerous different CODECS inside the MKV, MOV and MP3 containers. This is frustrating because many video editing tools do not allow you to do the precise fine-grained audio editing that Cubase 10.5 does. I think this has been a problem for me since Cubase 5.

OTHER GRIPE:
Seriously, please port Cubase to GNU\Linux. Microsoft does some things well, but I generally have better results editing video in GNU\Linux than I do in any Microsoft OS version past XP 64 Bit. Modern versions of Windows 10 just plain seem to have issues and it would be nice if I didn’t have to bounce back and forth from GNU\Linux to MS Windows for audio/video production. I can’t afford a Mac so that isn’t an option. I can use Ardour on GNU\Linux for simple tasks, but even though Ardour is very powerful and has a ton of potential, it is a far cry from Cubase Pro 10.5. In some ways the free Ardour might be superior to Cubase, but in most ways, Cubase Pro 10.5 is the “king of the mountains” when it comes to DAWs. I really could benefit from Cubase Pro and/or Nuendo on GNU\Linux with Jack Audio support.