Cant load old projects from 9.5 to Cub 10

Thanks noiseboyuk, I’ll try this when I get around to it.

Same here. Crash dumps are not even created. Also have thrashed Prefs. Loaded Cubase 10 in safe mode. Still not working.

Not using autotune, no echoboy, altiverb not loaded in the 9.5 projects I’m trying to load.

Cubase 10 just crashes while my VST instruments are loading, without even making it to the project window.

I have tried starting a new project using my current template in Cubase 10, and it loads all the VST instruments fine.

Arrgh.

GNP - just posted this in another thread, which covers some of my experiences I already mentioned in this thread:

There are some plugins - quite a few - that cause a total Cubase 10 meltdown that weren’t a problem in earlier versions. There are a variety of methods to track it down - I imported blocks of tracks from a problem 9.0 project into a blank 10.0 one, found they all loaded ok so deduced it had to be in the FX or groups channels, which was about a dozen plugins. I loaded those into a blank project one by one til Cubase crashed. In my case it was the 1.0.0 version of Kush’s Clariphonic. I updated to 1.1.1 and now all is well.

I’ve already tried all the plugins that are being used with the 9.5 project, loaded on a new Cubase 10 project. None of them crashed Cubase 10.

It’s frustrating.

Typical steinberg behavior,
“add lots of features that don’t work, add problems to features that worked in previous versions”

Most of crashes in Cubase 10 due to 3-rd party plugins. As far as i know, those plugins makes Cubase 10 instantly crash without damp file:

McDSP, Soundtoys, Softube, Air, Altiverb and probably some others. Temporary solution - use J-Bridge (doesn’t work for VST3 though, only VST32/64).
And hopefully Steinberg will fix it in nearest future update.

I have a feeling it’s not just the plugins.

I’ve been loading all the possible problem plugins I have with a fresh new project in Cubase 10, and so far none of them crashed Cubase.

It just has problems loading older projects from 9.5.

UPDATE

I just tried writing a test tune for Cubase 10.

Suddenly, it crashes.

Now, when I tried to open the project, it crashes, exactly like how it handled 9.5 projects!

I can’t even use Cubase 10 now to successfully open a project that was created in Cubase 10!

WTF???

Then, I tried to open the CUBASE 10 project in 9.5.

9.5 SUCCESSFULLY OPENED A 10 PROJECT!!

WW T DOUBLE F???

More times than not, this is always due to 1 of 3 things. Plugins - making sure they’re all up to date. Licenser Software/Steinberg E-licenser, iLok, etc - update. Operating System - depending on what OS you have, usually… with Apple you’ve updated too much… With Windows, you haven’t updated enough.

UPDATE

Okay, you guys are right. It was 3 plugins I was using under the collection called “Abbey Road Brilliance”, by SOFTUBE.
I’ve updated the plugin for those, and now the project loads successfully in Cubase 10.

Thanks and apologies for the rants!

Good news - thought you’d track it down eventually :slight_smile:

Same here. Couldn’t launch my actual project (started with 9.5). By watching which channel cubase was loading when the crash occured, I’ve been able to find that it was the Usamo plugin. After removing its dll file, I was able to load the project ! :smiley:

Yeah finally, phew! Weird though, 9.5 and 10 are so close, yet 9.5 opens virtually any old plugin - wondering what the actual technical causes could’ve been!

Who knows, but what shouldn’t happen is a crash so terminal Cubase can’t even save a crash dump. The Blacklist doesn’t even catch it. But hey, at least we’re all figuring out ways around it.

Yeah man, exactly. This feels very terminal, lol. I got alittle jumpy because of it! Anyhow, I later realized it was ALL plugins by Softube. Luckily I don’t use them often…otherwise…argh.